Bethany Hamilton

by Olivea from Manhattan Beach

Olivea Kupiec February 10, 2016 Period 3
An Inspiration to the World

Someone who makes a difference in others lives are often defined as heroes. Not all heroes are someone who saves the day and kills the bad guy. Not only is Bethany Hamilton a survivor of a shark attack, but a hero to many people around the world. Bethany Hamilton is a 26 year old woman who was born and raised a surfer. At the young age of 13, a shark bit off her arm. With help and encouragement from both her parents, her two brothers, and her three dogs, she was back surfing just two months after the attack. She inspires people to follow their dreams, she is determined to help others, and is selfless when it comes to putting others before herself.

Bethany is inspiring to many people for a couple specific reasons. In October of 2013 she was attacked by a shark, who bit her right arm. Not only did the shark take her arm, but could it could have taken her ability to surf as well. She nearly died on that morning due to all of the blood loss. Within just a short time period of recovery she was back surfing. Bethany had one arm and was still an amazing surfer. She inspires many children and adults who have missing limbs. She encourages all people to never give up on their dreams just because they are not the same as others. Not only does she inspire disabled people but inspires people who do have two arms and two legs.

Bethany inspires people to pursue their dreams, just liked she pursed hers with one arm. One of the many heroic qualities of Bethany Hamilton is her determination to help others. After she was bit, she was determined to keep surfing until she could surf as well as she could before the attack. No matter how many obstacles she had to face, no matter how many times she got knocked down, she always got back up on her feet and tried again. Through all the suffering she went through she is still determined to help others.

Today, Bethany is involved in many charity organizations and is determined to help others. Bethany proves to everyone that anything can be done if you put your mind to it. Due to all the fame she has gained because of her tragic attack, Bethany has created her own foundation Friends of Bethany. She helps people with amputations overcome their hardships with the help of Jesus Christ. Through her hardships, she still is determined to help people all around her. Bethany Hamilton is someone who makes a difference in her life and others. Someone who is selfless puts others before them, just like what Bethany did on a mission trip to Thailand. She decided to join Sarah, friend, on a trip to Phuket, Thailand after very little time of recovery. In 2004 there was a huge tsunami that ruined the whole town of Phuket. Completely forgetting about her needs, she helped the city become not afraid of the water again. Although, her surf career could have been ruined from the attack she finds hope again when she helps all the little boys and girls of Phuket learn to surf. Bethany is nothing less than a hero to hundreds of people around the world. Bethany's story is well known, which is one of the reasons why she is a hero to so many people.

Today, Bethany is 26 and has a baby boy, Tobias, and is happily married to her husband Adam Dirks. She will always be one of the greatest surfers with or without 2 arms. She didn't save the day or kill the bad guy but she did inspire little kids, make a foundation, Friends of Bethany, and put herself before others when she helped the community of Phuket, Thailand.