Bethany Hamilton

by Savannah from Loveland

My Hero... Bethany Hamilton 

I remember hearing about the shark attack, years later, on the north shore of a place called the "tunnels." It was in 2003. This girl was only 13 years old and she survived! How did she do it?!

The girl was Bethany Hamilton. She was born on February 8, 1990 in Kauai, Hawaii. She is still alive and well today, but she only has one arm. Today she lives in Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii. She grew up with born to surf parents and two loving brothers, Noah and Timmy. She never knew what was coming towards her in her life. But her life was about to change.

What has she done is the question? She has been through so much! It all started when she was surfing with her best friend Alana. They were wading in the water when a giant shark came up and bit her arm off! She didn't even scream. After Alana's brother rushed to the car and called 911, they rushed her off to the hospital. She lived after losing over 60% of her blood! The doctors called her a living miracle. The truth is she really is a living miracle! God probably would have let her died if he didn't have a purpose for her in her future! Even after everything she has been through, she still puts her thanks and hope and trust in God! I think that is amazing! She has inspired me to thank God for even still having two arms!

There is only one way to put this, she has changed my life and has given me a whole new perspective. After seeing everything she has been through, she still puts every bit of her faith in God. If I got my arm bitten off by a shark, it would be hard to still look to God and trust him. Bethany has inspired me to thank God and trust him even after something terrible has happened. If it weren't for Bethany and her faith, I would not be so close to God today.

Sites:

http://bethanyhamilton.com/about/