Bethany Hamilton

by Jessica from Loveland

Many people know my hero through her movie, maybe her book, or even heard talk about the many heroic or brave things she did. Who could be such a person? Well that would be Bethany Hamilton. I learned from Bethany's story that you should keep pursuing your dream no matter the circumstance.

Her life was practically perfect, until she hit the waves on October 31, 2003, when Bethany was only thirteen years old. She had gone for a morning surf along Kauai beach with her friends, Alana and Alana's father and brother. Around 7:30 AM Bethany's arm was dangling in the water when a tiger shark had attacked her, taking her arm. Bethany showed bravery when the only screams you could hear were from her friends and not her. Bethany's friends had rushed her to the hospital, and by the time Bethany got there, she had lost 65% of her blood. Bethany said that she couldn't feel any pain from the shark but felt very numb. Bethany had recovered shortly after and returned home. She had shown true bravery by jumping back into surfing, casting the incident aside. Bethany wrote a book about this tragic event in her life and, shortly after had made a movie called " Soul Surfer".

Bethany spent lots of time at the beach which made it hard for her to be home much. Bethany's passion toward Bethany's personal life showed true dedication to her family. Bethany got married to Adam Dirks on August 8/18/2014. Her parents were Thomas and Cherilyn Hamilton and Bethany has two brothers named Noah who is 8 years old and Timothy who is four years old. Bethany was born February 8,1990 in Lihue, Hawaii, and all through her childhood spent great amounts of time surfing. Surfing was great but she loved her family dearly and dedicated her life to them. Her family was doing everything they could to make Bethany feel as if nothing ever happened to her.

Bethany dedicated her life to surfing. Ever since she was 4 years old Bethany has dedicated her life to surfing, hoping she would someday be a professional surfer. Bethany showed true dedication to surfing when she had returned to surfing no matter the cost, Even losing her arm. Bethany shows a selfless act when after the attack she receives fame but uses it wisely. Instead of taking her fame and using it unwisely like many others, Bethany took it and pointed it in a direction that helps and inspires others. After the attack Bethany's dad got so upset he dedicated his time to find the shark that attacked Bethany.

Bethany Hamilton shows many heroic qualities, like perseverance, determination, and many other heroic qualities. Bethany also sets a very good example for us in her tragic story and through that Bethany became my hero. Bethany is a hero to many. Is Bethany your hero too?