Bethany Hamilton

by Maggie from Loveland

Bethany with her surfboard after the tragedy  (www.homeschoolingteen.com (Home Schooling Teen Magizine ))
Bethany with her surfboard after the tragedy (www.homeschoolingteen.com (Home Schooling Teen Magizine ))

Bethany Hamilton is a great example of a hero because of all the great things she did and the way she is looked up to as a hero.The first word that comes to my mind when I think of Bethany Hamilton is selflessness because of the way she has only one arm but she always puts others first and takes the spotlight off of her to put it on others. Also because of the way she can only think of helping others when they need it and she puts her heart into it when she needs to help and she always wants to help. Another reason she is selfless is the way she always loved her competitors. They were not always that nice to Bethany but she always treated them well and was always there to help them.

When I look at Bethany and think of all the great things she did I always think she is the most courageous person I know and courage is not only the characteristic of a hero but also the characteristic of a leader. Courage is a fantastic way to describe Bethany's personality because she is great role model who is able to show us all the great things in our life and life will get hard but as long as we lift ourselves up and get courage then we will be able to get through any struggles.

Another way I describe Bethany is humility because of the way people judged her by the way she looked just because she was different than the rest of us. With her feeling that way, she thought that she could never fall in love or be able to follow her dreams although she proved to herself that she could do whatever her heart desires with God helping her and giving her strength. Even though Bethany may only have one arm to work with she works harder than you and me might because she believes in herself and knows that if she puts her mind to it, she can do it.

myspace.com (Bethany Hamilton)
myspace.com (Bethany Hamilton)

A hero is often known for their strengths, gifts, or they may also be known as powers. Bethany may not have super powers but she always used and still uses endurance in everything she does and she is often successful because of that. Being able to prove that the Bible verse Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" is true, is often hard to do because we all have to work for whatever we want to do and God will always help us but sometimes if we have to do a lot of work, we give up. We may do that, but Bethany Hamilton never gave up. She may have gotten discouraged or sad because it was hard but the people around her reminded her to never give up and to use endurance.

Looking up to someone is something we all do because we need a person in our lives to want to follow for all the great things they did. Choosing Bethany Hamilton as my hero was fun to do because we can all look up to her and follow all her great characteristics and being able to remember never to give up. Every one of us can look up to Bethany Hamilton to follow the great things she did and to remember to always be selfless, courageous, and to have humility. Not all of us may want those things but those are the qualities of a hero. They are also qualities of a leader.