Beyonce Knowles

by Halley from Lynchburg

Beyonce Knowles is praised for her originality, her talent, and her accomplishments in the music industry. She has also spearheaded efforts and foundations to help those affected by hurricane Katrina. Beyonce has conquered obstacles, and proved that a goal can be attained with hard work and determination. She also believes in the power of women. I admire her for her fortitude and confidence which why Beyonce is my idol and hero.

In Beyonce's documentary, Life is But a Dream, she discusses her childhood in Houston,Texas where her mother owned a hair salon. She told interviewers that she would perform for the ladies in the salon whether they wanted to listen or not. As teenager, Beyonce and her friends started a music group that would be the inspiration for Destiny's Child. Matthew Knowles, Beyonce's father, became her manager while her mom designed and made costumes. Her parents and two sisters pushed her to be a dream chaser, and remain a vital part of her drive to perform.

Also in Life is But a Dream, Beyonce describes how she feels about the status of women. Although she has not deemed herself a feminist, she makes it known that she supports women and their rights. "I'm always thinking about women and what we need to hear. It is difficult being a woman. It is so much pressure," she said while looking back on her inspiration for the song "Girls". She explained that the plight of women is not about equal rights, it is about changing the way we think. "We have to shape our own perceptions of the way we view ourselves," she told the camera. According to the Internet Movie Database, Beyonce created her alter ego, Sasha Fierce, to conquer her shyness. "We all go through problems. We have the same insecurities and the same abilities. We need each other," she said in her documentary. Beyonce is a woman that I try to model myself after. She is emphatic about what she believes, and she is independent.

The documentary showed that when Beyonce wants something she goes after. "I never want to be satisfied," she said. I particularly admire this about her because success is not stagnant. Success has to be maintained. Beyonce is constantly improving herself in order to further her career. She has 16 Grammys, six of which she won in a single year. Although she is hard working, she told interviewers for her documentary that she knows when to stop and focus on her life. Her documentary was her way of getting in touch with her own life.

Beyonce is one of the strongest and successful women of this generation. She is the archetype of what it means to be a powerful woman.

beyonce.com - Beyonce's main website that includes photos, blogs, and video
iam.beyonce.com - Information about Beyonce's life and professional work
beyonceonline.com - The latest of Beyonce's music, photos, events, and videos.