Robert Nesta Marley aka Bob Marley

by Jared from Wolfforth, Texas

"Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together - black, white, Chinese, everyone - that's all."

Bob Marley was a hero figure in the classic mythological sense. His departure from this planet came at a point when his vision of One World, One Love - inspired by his belief in Rastafari - was beginning to be heard and felt. He did not only affect people from Jamaica, but also people from all over the world. The last Bob Marley and the Wailers tour in 1980 attracted the largest audiences at that time for any musical act in Europe.

One reason I feel like Bob Marley is a "hero figure" to me, is that he and I share a same goal. That goal is for world peace. Bob Marley once said, "I don't stand for the black man's side, I don't stand for the white man's side. I stand for God's side." This quote shows that he has no race preference, but instead lives for God.

There is another look on life that Bob Marley and I share, which is to not judge or worry about what others think of you. A few quotes that show this include,
""Who are you to judge the life I live?
I know I'm not perfect
-and I don't live to be-
but before you start pointing fingers...
make sure you hands are clean!"
And another quote that expresses this same thought is,
"Judge not unless you judge yourself"

I also admire Bob Marley for he does not wish for riches, only to affect people for the better. This quote proves this true, "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively."