The following story was written by a student.

Bill Nye

by Julian from DuBois

Humor is everywhere, in that there's irony in just about anything a human does.
Nye in a bow tie (examiner.com)
Nye in a bow tie (examiner.com)

Imagine being inside an active laboratory. Inside of this laboratory are countless experiments, mechanisms, tools, and… cameras? You are on the set of Bill Nye, the Science Guy. Bill is talking to the camera, and as he talks his mouth is curled up in and endless grin - he is doing what he loves, being scientific and fun. In honor of Nye, I researched him in “Biography Today.” I chose Bill Nye because he is an amazing guy. He has an incredibly successful television show, and he is a stupendous scientist, host, and even comedian. Bill Nye is a great hero.

On November 27th, 1955, something terrific happened. The planets aligned perfectly. The whole world shifted. In Washington D.C., William Nye came into this world! Nye had a family like any other. His father is Edwin Nye, who is a retired appliance salesman. The mother of Bill Nye is Jacquie Jenkins-Nye. She has a Ph.D. in education. Nye has one brother and one sister. Bill came from any ordinary 50’s family.

A career of such knowledge that Nye embarked on was made possible from the roots of his education. Bill paid his dues of high school at Sidwell Friends School, a private school in Washington, D.C. In 1973, he graduated. Nye then enrolled at Cornell University. As if fate would have it, he took an astronomy course taught by famous scientist Carl Sagan. Nye got what he set out for- he graduated from Cornell with a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. Now he could begin on the journey that would take him far, quite far…

After graduating, Nye spent time working at various jobs. He moved around from different engineering and design firms near Seattle. In 1986, Bill joined the cast of comedy show “Almost Live.” It was there that the seed of a prosperous plant would be sown. Prior to a performance on “Almost Live”, Nye did a radio bit during which he called himself “Bill Nye, the Science Guy”. It was then that he perceived the genius idea to use the “Science Guy” for a performance on “Almost Live”. Donning a lab coat and safety glasses, Bill dunked an onion in liquid nitrogen, and then shattered it. Nye realized there was something grand taking place. The audience loved it. Bill Nye, the Science Guy was born.

Science Guy (buffalorising.com)
Science Guy (buffalorising.com)

Nye went out on an adventure attempting to get someone important to see the light and recognize his wonderful plot. After four excruciating years, an executive from Seattle’s public television station got a hold of him. Elizabeth Brock, an executive from KCTS, thought his character would make an astounding children’s science show. In April 1993, the pilot episode aired nationally on PBS. Bill finally got his big break.

And a big break, it was. Bill Nye, the Science Guy became an instant hit. Kids, teachers, and scientists alike agreed that the show was a huge success. It’s all owed to the wacky host- Bill Nye. Nye was a different kind of scientist than the stereotypes children would see on TV. Within two years after the show hit the airwaves, Bill Nye, the Science Guy materials spawned and became immensely popular. The science guy was, and is, a profound show.

Bill Nye made a long haul. From a start like any other, he came farther than most people can imagine. He had a great mind, and got a strong education. He pushed and pushed, and he made it into the world of television. Nye made a deep impact in the world of science and children’s shows. Bill Nye is really an amazing guy.