Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji

by Ekjot from Surrey

Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji Sri Nagar Wale, 54 years "young", is a well known raagi and is recognized by most Sikhs globally. Bhai sahib has been performing kirtan from a very young age and is self-taught. Bhai Harjinder Singh is the elder brother of Bhai Maninder Singh; they are both exceptional vocalist and very able harmonium player. For almost three decades this jatha has enlightened Guru-ki-sangat in all parts of the world.

In Ludiana, he performed at Sabji Mandi Gurdwara. This was where the Sikh sangat started calling him "Sri Nagar" Wale. Although Bhai Sahib was not aware of this suffix to his name until one devoted Sikh printed their first business card with the name, "Bhai Harjinder Singh Sri Nagar Wale". Bhai Sahib has over 100 albums consisting of over 600 Gurbani shabads, all with melodious music.

Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji is my hero and idol. From the first time I heard his voice, I was mesmerized. It was as if God himself came into a human soul and sang the praises of God. In fact the only kirtan I listen to is by, yes, you guessed it, Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji. Every feature I see in him, I seek to emulate. He has touched my mind and heart. Even though I dont know every top to bottom detail about him, I know what a pure and clean soul he is.That's all what matters to me. To him, I might seem a person part of the sangat but to me he's my everything. As a person who does kirtan myself, I look up to him and always hope and pray that he continues to touch hearts...

Now I go every year to Dukh Nivaran Surrey Gurdwara, where he comes and has an Amrit Ras Kirtan Darbar for about ten days. It even gives me a chance to meet him afterward. He always greets me with a hug and recognizes me every year. I see God in him, maybe that's the reason my eyes go watery every time I see him.

Not only is Bhai Sahib an inspiration to me, but the rest of the world too. From grandparents to 5 year old kids, everyone enjoys and appreciates his shabads. I am thankful to meet such a powerful, pure soul.

I am where I am today because of the Shabad Guru. I am merely a singer of the Guru's praises of the Guru's words; I am a humble servant of the Guru, if anyone is to be praised it is the Guru Granth and the Guru Panth. It is only by the great fortune blessed upon me by Guru Ji and the sangat that I am where I am today.