Bindi Irwin

by Ashley from Michigan

A definition of a hero is a person, typically a man, who is admired for his courage and outstanding achievements, or a person of superhuman qualities. I've never really had a hero, but there is someone that I have come to admire.

At first, I admired Steve Irwin, handler of dangerous wild animals, and father of Bindi Irwin, for his courage. He played with danger so that we, the public, could understand these wild creatures, and respect them more than fear them. Steve Irwin died on September 4, 2006. He left behind his wife Terri, daughter Bindi, and baby son Bob. In the weeks and months after his death, his family had to deal with their own grief, as well as the outpouring of sympathy offered by millions and millions of other people.

Through all of this, Bindi Irwin has shown that she has a great amount of courage. She has gone forward and honored her father by continuing to teach the public the family's knowledge of animals. Bindi has been working through her grief by speaking at Steve's memorial service at the Crocoseum at the Australian Zoo. Her mother, Terri, stated that she could not speak publically at that time, but Bindi wanted to, and Terri encouraged her.

Bindi is also promoting a new show that she and Steve had been working on prior to his passing. I believe that it must take great courage to pursue that in light of what has happened. Bindi is only eight years old, but this young girl has shown adults that she can answer questions that other adults, overwhelmed by emotions of grief, are unable to explain. This young girl has had numerous interviews in which she has shown just how poised and professional she can be.

Bindi Irwin has proved to the public that she is just as brave and courageous as her father, Steve. It must have been terrible to lose her father at such a young age, especially because she was daddy's little girl. I am amazed at how she is taking this. I wish her my best, and look forward to what she does next.