Blackie the Horse

by Kent from Tiburon

I made it (Kent G.)
I made it (Kent G.)

Blackie was a horse who liked to stand still. He was born in Kansas in1926. He never moved. A cowboy who roped bulls bought him and took him to Salinas, CA. It took many carrots and sugar cubes to get him to go. He was unbeatable for a long time, until the cowboy got old. Blackie got sold to an army man and moved to Yosemite. He stood still with the army man, and tourists took souvenir pictures of them. When Blackie was 12, he became too old and too sway - back to be sat on. An oyster man named Anthony Connell wanted a horse who stood still, so he bought Blackie and Blackie moved to Tiburon. It took 100's of carrots and sugar cubes to make him move. Blackie stood in one place for the rest of his life. In his pasture in Tiburon, kids from all over came to see him. For 28 years this wonderful life went on. Everyone loved visiting. Then on 1966 Blackie died in his sleep.

I think Blackie is a hero because he saved the pasture land from becoming a big shopping mall. When a big city developer tried to build a big mall on Blackie's pasture, the the town said no. Now kids and adults can play on Blackie's statue and have a field to run around on instead of having a shopping mall. Blackie's "motto" was no change. He stopped the community from bringing big change. That is why I think Blackie should be a hero