Blackie The Horse

by Grace from Tiburon

Blackie was born in Kansas in 1926. He liked to stand still under a juniper tree. He was bought by a cowboy and moved to Salinas, CA. Blackie didn't like change, so he was bribed by the cowboy with carrots, sugar, and apples. The cowboy took Blackie to a rodeo and he roped lots of bulls while Blackie stood still. They won many ribbons, but one day Blackie got too swaybacked to do rodeos anymore. He was bribed by more carrots, apples, and 10 lumps of sugar with each meal.

Next Blackie got a patrolling job in Yosemite in the spring and summer. An army captain sat on him and tourists took pictures with them. One day they said he was WAY too swaybacked to have anyone sit on him, so they decided to sell him. They thought no one would want a 12 year old swaybacked horse.

Surprisingly an oyster man named Anthony Connell bought him and he was bribed by HUNDREDS of carrots and moved to Tiburon, CA. He stood at a pasture by the Richardson Bay. Many generations of children came and fed him more carrots, apples, and sugar.

Blackie died at age 40 in his sleep. He lived from 1926-1966. He lived happily in Tiburon for 28 years. In the 1990's they made a statue for him.

I think Blackie is a hero because he has done many things. He saved our town from having a mall. He showed us that just because you stand still your whole life, doesn't mean you can't have a nice life. That is why Blackie is my hero.