Wilson Blue

by Kayla from Andalusia

My name is Kayla Burleson. I am from a very, very small town in south Alabama. The town is called Opp, and it is located in southern Covington County. As small as this town is, there are many people who are considered to be heroes. Many amazing people live here, and they all have incredible stories that need to be heard. Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to write about each and every one of them. Therefore, I will have to start with one of the most important figures in my life. A man who has touched my heart and my life in so many ways, my grandfather, Wilson Blue.

Wilson Blue was a man who had little money. He was a worker at the cotton mill in Opp. He was a member of the road crew and he was a volunteer at the hopsital and the nursing home. This man was very important to many people. He had a large family. His family consisted of a wife, five children, and many animals. He was a farmer, and their family lived from the garden. He supported his family the best that he could. He was always there for the children and always a faithful and loving husband.

Mr. Blue helped the city anytime that they called. He was always ready to get up and run to help anyone in need, even if it were a burden for him. He was a loving person and gave up anything and everything for anyone who needed it more. Wilson Blue worked all of the time. He always tried to have a little money to give to his children. He wanted them to have everything that that they dreamed of, and even though that sometimes did not happen, he always gave it his best shot.

Mr. Blue became a grandfather in 1982. This one of the most joyful days of his life. He got to hold his first grandchild in his arms, and he would always talk about it. When I was younger and actually began to understand him more he would always take us down to the pond. He taught us to fish and hunt. He helped teach us to read and write. This man taught us everything that he knew.

My grandfather died in 1993, this was one of the worst days of my life. I miss him so much. He died of a heart attack, but he asked us not to cry. He told us he loved us. He knew we loved him and how much we appreciate him and now not a day goes by that I do not think of this honorable man who made such a difference in my life.