Paul Bunyan

by Coy from Deer Lodge

Paul Bunyan is my fictional hero. There are many legends about Paul Bunyan. Throughout time people would hear about a guy named Paul Bunyan and would make up new stories. Paul Bunyan was known as a giant lumberjack. My dad is a logger or lumberjack so I think that is part of the reason I like Paul Bunyan.

It is said that when he was a baby he had to wear his fathers clothes because he was so big. He could hold his breath underwater so long that he could snatch all the frogs in a pond in one pass. It was said that he would eat 30 bowls of porridge before he was one year old. On his first birthday his father gave him a baby blue ox named Babe that also grew to be a giant, like Paul did. People say that Paul and Babe were so big that when he stepped across Minnesota he made the 10,000 lakes. Paul carried axes so big he couldn't use grinding stones, so he rolled boulders down hill and chased them while letting his axes rub on them.

As Paul Bunyan got older he grew his beard so big that he cut it and sold it to people to make mattresses. He smoked pipes so big he that when he blew out the smoke he caused all the smog on the west coast. Every time Paul Bunyan had Babe the blue ox shoed they had to open a new iron mine.

I think the biggest and most known tale about Paul Bunyan is how the Grand Canyon was made. It is said that one day Paul got tired of carrying his axe up on his shoulder, so he dragged it on the ground and that's how the Grand Canyon was made. That is the main reason that Paul Bunyan is my hero.

Paul Bunyan is definitely a hero to a lot of kids, even though he is a fictional hero. He did a lot of big things that to kids are the greatest and most heroic things of all.