C.S. Lewis: The World of Narnia

by Lydia from Indiana

<a href=http://www.christianodyssey.org/images/history/C%20S%20Lewis.jpg>C.S. Lewis</a>
C.S. Lewis

Though C. S. Lewis started his career as a writer for both adult fiction and non-fiction, in my mind I will always remember him as the writer of the beloved children's series, The Chronicles of Narnia. The first time my mother read me The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe at age four, my eyes grew round and a chill of fear shivered down my back as Lucy first stepped into the wardrobe and discovered the world of Narnia. So vividly did I feel part of the story that, gulping with terror as the White Witch raised her wand, my face froze along with her unfortunate victim. When my mother finished reading each evening, I was left wanting more. As soon as I was old enough, I read every single book of the series, and loved them for their adventure and important symbolism regarding Jesus' resurrection. From that point on, C. S. Lewis become my favorite author, and I looked up to him because of his strong Christian faith and incredible abilities as a writer.

Clive Staples Lewis, commonly called Jack by his friends, did not always have the peace and joy that comes with the acceptance of Jesus. As a young child, he trusted God with a simple faith which did not last into his adulthood. After experiencing the loss of his parents, many close friends in the first World War, and verbal abuse in school, Lewis hardened himself to heartache. As a result, he considered himself a non-Christian, and developed pride for his independence. Yet when he was thirty-one, after reading many literary works on Christianity and talking with Catholic writer J. R. R. Tolkien, Lewis began to realize his total depravity and finally turned to Christ for forgiveness. He later recalled his conversion and realized how much it had changed his life. His trials did not go away, as he later lost more beloved friends and finally his wife, but he remained faithful to Christ. Throughout his hardships he became a stronger Christian with a better relationship with the people around him. Tolkien's friendship particularly influenced him in writing, and in 1932, Lewis began to write the books which later gave him so much fame.

C. S. Lewis wrote many books other than the Chronicles of Narnia. However, this children's series will always be my favorite because of the memorable characters and strong message. His writing abilities also endear him to children and adults all over the world as they enter the magical world of Narnia, have tea with fauns, fight evil, and triumph with Aslan. While Lewis later added to the book and made it a series, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will forever have a special place in my heart because of its symbolism to the Bible. Jesus' resurrection is symbolized through Aslan's death and resurrection while man's sinfulness is portrayed through Edmund's betrayal of his brother and sisters. Although Lewis wrote about man's sinfulness, he also clearly depicted Christ's love for us in an imaginative and unforgettable way. I have always admired C. S. Lewis for staying strong even when he lost so much in life, trusting God in all things, and giving us the world of Narnia.

<a href=/images/guest/g41925/hero36760/g41925_u39298_aslan.jpg>Aslan</a>
Aslan

Coren, Michael. . The Man Who Created Narnia: The Story of C. S Lewis. . Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1996.