Cesar Chavez

by Roberto from San Diego

The Farm workers' rights

"Pace cannot be kept by force; it can only be archived by understanding"(Einstein). "Robert Kennedy called Cesar Chavez one of the heroic figures of our time 1968. Cesar Chavez was a grass root labor organizer who rose from the ranks of California migrant workers to form and lead the national farm workers association .Cesar Chavez was selfless, supportive, and courageous man who peacefully fought the government for the rights of the migrant farm workers.

Since the beginning, Cesar Chavez was a good man who dedicated his life to helping others. Chavez began the first of his life threatening fasts which mean that he did not eat for 25 days. In the years that followed, Chavez continued to undertake fasts as response to the violence within the unions struggle (dictionary of Hispanic biography). Cesar Chavez was not tolerant to any kind of violence, which is why he wouldn't allow anyone in his union to use violence however he did not stop fighting. Cesar Chavez learned about Gandhi's nonviolent political actions as those of other great nonviolent leaders through history(farm workers union). Since he was poor the only tool he had against injustice was nonviolence for the farm workers were living on extreme poverty and treated very poorly. When Cesar Chavez was a teenager, he and his older sister Rita would help other farm workers and neighbors by driving them to the hospital to see a doctor. Without Cesar and his sister's help those people would have really difficult time getting help (CA dept. of education). 

The support that Cesar Chavez had was really good because he would do anything to help people. Chavez worked for the organization for ten years, during that time; he helped more than 500,000 Latino citizens to vote. He also gained old age retirement money for 50,000 Mexican immigrants. He served as the organization's national dictator (America source). He did all of this because he liked to help people; No one forced him to help others; this was his passion. What makes Cesar Chavez a huge inspiration is that he grew up on extreme poverty moving from place trying to find work and all of a sudden he decided to help others instead of himself he was forced to work on a small farm where he was born. And the family joined the hordes of migrants farm workers who followed the harvest in California during the great depression (dictionary of Hispanic biography). he did not have a nice child hood he had to work from a really young age and didn't have much time to go to school. Cesar Chavez was a great hero by being selfless, supportive, and courageous by helping others.

Cesar Chavez." Dictionary of Hispanic Biography. Gale, 1996. Biography In Context. Web. 3 May 2013.

"An American Hero The Biography of Cesar E. Chavez." Biography of Cesar E. Chavez (CA Dept of Education). N.p., n.d. Web. 03 May 2013.

Cesar Chavez, 1927- 1993: He Organized the First Successful Farm Workers Union in America

"UFW: The Official Web Page of the United Farm Workers of America." UFW: The Official Web Page of the United Farm Workers of America. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 May 2013.