Cesar Chavez

by Katie from Roseville

"You are never strong enough that you don''t need help."

During the civil rights era, many people like Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks fought for the rights of African Americans. Many people though, forget that while people were fighting for African American's rights, people like Delores Huerta fought for the rights of Latino Farmers. One of the most influential activist during this movement was none other than Cesar Chavez. He peacefully fought for better treatment of Latino farmers, and is one of the most inspirational people of his time.

Cesar Chavez was born in Yuma, AZ on March 31, 1927, to Juana Estrada Chavez and Librado Chavez. Growing up in a poor house with five brothers and sisters, life wasn't always the easiest for him. He moved through many towns on the west coast in California, following wherever crops needed to be picked. School was also very difficult for him. He spoke very broken English and faced many racist remarks, due to the fact that he was only one of the very few Mexican kids at his schools. After attending 37 different schools, he finally graduated eighth grade. He did not continue onto High School though, because his dad had gotten in an accident and was unable to work in the fields, so Cesar became a migrant farm worker to support his family.

In 1946, Cesar joined the U.S Navy at the age of 19, and then returned home two years later. When he got home he married Helen Fabela, and together they had eight children. While in San Jose, he befriended Father Donald McDonell. Together they discussed things like the unfair treatment of farm workers and strikes. Chavez was  also influenced by a man named Fred Ross. He became an organizer for Ross' organization, the Community Service Organization. Soon after, in 1962, Cesar Chavez founded the National Farm Workers Association, that would later be renamed to the United Farm Workers. He was joined by Delores Huerta, and together they peacefully fought for the rights of Latinos by going on strike, fasting, and marching. Some of hist memorable protests were the Delano grape strike, the 340 mile march from Delano to Sacramento in 1966, and his 36 day Fast for Life.

On April 23, 1993 in San Luis, Az, he died peacefully in his sleep. It is said that when he was found dead, he had a peaceful smile still on his face. Cesar won many awards like the Pacem in Terris Award in 1992, the Aztec Eagle in 1991, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, accepted by his wife on his behalf, in 1994.  most of his life to improving the treatment, payment, and working conditions for farm workers, which had largely changed the lives of migrant workers.

Cesar Chavez was a hero to many. He believed that everyone should be treated equally, and that non-violence was the way to be heard. He changed many farm workers lives, by establishing union contracts requiring rest periods, clean drinking water, hand washing stations, and protective clothing against pesticide exposure. He was such an inspiration to so many people, that today there are many things named after him. Things like parks, roads, schools, libraries, and even an airport is named after him. All to remember the greatness he brought with him when he entered this world. Cesar Chavez is my hero, because he stood up to what he felt was unjust and changed thousands of people's lives just by speaking up.

Cesar Chavez - Cesar Chavez is a biography.
Cesar chavez- Interesting Facts - Interesting Fatcs about Cesar Chavez
The Story of Cesar Chavez - Cesar Chavez's Life Story

*Buried at the UFW's California headquarters in front of his office. *Lived in a town in California named Sal si Puedes, which translates to "escape if you can." *Second of five children born.