Cesar Chavez

by Antonio from Portland

Cesar Chavez was born on March 31, 1927 in Yuma Arizona.  At age 11, Cesar's family lost their farm during the Great Depression.  They became migrant farm workers.  Migrant farmers travel to different places for work.  Cesar traveled throughout his young life as a farmer in California's fields, orchards, and vineyards. He saw the hardship and unfairness of farm workers' lives.

http://www1.pgcps.org/uploadedImages/Schools_and_Centers/Elementary_Schools/Caesar_Chavez/Cesar_Chavez_USPS.png ()

Cesar Chavez was a true American hero, because he helped the farmers get paid more. He was a community organizer. He created a union for farmers and called the National Farm Workers Association.

The farmers' lives were not great. Cesar helped them. Cesar Chavez farmers only earn $5 a week. He never earned more than 6,000 a year. Cesar's family never owned a house.

Cesar Chavez knew it would take a strong union to remedy the economic injustices workers suffered at workplace.Cesar Chavez won the fight because they marched and made signs.                                                                                    

Now before they won Cesar knew they could win. Cesar knew they could beat them now they got paid more from the farmers. Cesar made a speech before the war.                         

Cesar Chavez passed away peacefully in his sleep on April 23, 1993 in a small farm worker town of San Luis, Arizona. Cesar Chavez showed the farmers they could win against great odds. Cesar Chavez made a speech to show the they could make it. Cesar Chavez is one of the great heroes of our time.