Cesar Chavez

by Jovanny from Van Nuys

My hero is a community hero.

Most of the time, farm workers are looked as insignificant, and not treated fairly with their working conditions and income. But one man named Cesar Chavez, decided to stand up for farm workers and tried to improve wages and working conditions. Cesar Chavez was a farm worker himself like his father. Until he was fed up with the way he got treated at work and the very low wages he earned. So he came up with non-violent ways to protest so farm workers would get treated and paid what they really deserve, this is a true hero… Cesar Chavez.

Cesar Chavez was a figure to look up to in many ways because he tried to increase wages and working conditions for farmers. He did that by organizing marches, and meetings. He encouraged people to boycott grapes in order to gain improve wages. He also created an organization that supports farm workers and that is dedicated to the increase in farm worker’s working circumstances. This was very heroic because he was creative in coming up with non-violent ways to fight for better treatment and the pay for farm workers.

Cesar Chavez’s goals were inspired by his childhood experiences when he was young. As a child, his dad was scammed by a man who promised him a portion of his land as long as he cleared it out. When he finished clearing out the land, the man refused to give him the land and sold it to another man instead. Other childhood experiences were that Cesar had to relinquish school because of the low earnings his dad made, to help his dad at the farm and support his family. Because of the poor treatment, and wages his father earned, Cesar Chavez had to leave school, an education, and the opportunity to go to college.

Cesar is truly a hero because of all his achievements, and the reasons why he was inspired to help farm workers. These events have the requirements needed to become a hero, and Cesar Chavez has all those traits. I chose Cesar Chavez because he had the courage to stand up and speak out against the appalling treatment towards farm workers. I believe Cesar is a great person and is a hero in history, for the working community, for farm workers, and to anyone. In conclusion, and with the help of the info acknowledged above, that’s why I chose Cesar Chavez as my hero.