Charles Lindbergh

by Logan from Weyauwega

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be an aviator? Charles Lindbergh is my hero because he was the first aviator to fly nonstop from New York City to Paris, across the Atlantic Ocean. He was the one who inspired me to join the Aviators by Design group going on in school right now, started by Mr. Gruntzel and Mr. Hansen. In that group we get to build our own plane and fly it after getting our pilots license. Charles Lindbergh has had many achievements in his life. He had a great life and I was very much inspired by him.

Charles Lindbergh was born Feb. 4, 1902 in Detroit, Illinois. He grew up on a farm close to Little Falls, Minn. Charles Lindbergh's father, Charles August Lindbergh, was a Little Falls lawyer, and also Minnesota's Sixth District Congressman from 1907-1917. Charles Lindbergh's mother, Evangeline Lodge Land, was a chemistry teacher from Detroit, Illinois, and a graduate of the University of Michigan. Charles Lindbergh spent most of the first 18 years of his life living on the banks of the Mississippi River in Little Falls, Minn. He was drawn to aviation the first time an airplane soared over his home. After High School in Little Falls in 1918, Lindbergh enrolled at the University of Wisconsin in Madison in 1920. In his first two years, he took an engineering course and became even more interested in the field of aviation. His life after school was with the planes. He enlisted in the U.S. Army to become an Army Air Reserve Pilot. He graduated the Army Flight Training School in 1925. The Robertson Aircraft Corporation of St. Louis hired Lindbergh to fly mail from St. Louis to Chicago after his Army Training. He then after that won the Orteig Prize for flying from New York to Paris across the Atlantic nonstop. He also got a German Medal of Honor. He opposed voluntary entry to world war II. Lindbergh died of cancer on August 26, 1974.

Charles Lindbergh had many great achievements throughout his lifetime, such as his great Transatlantic Flight. It started when he heard about the Orteig Prize while delivering mail. He heard that a New York City hotel owner by the name of, Raymond Orteig, was offering $25,000 to the first Aviator to fly nonstop from New York City, New York to Paris, France. He then decided to go & try to win the $25,000. He set up his plane, took off, and finally made it to Paris. He won the $25,000 and returned home safely. He also later on got the great achievement of creating the first artificial heart (charleslindbergh.com).

Charles Lindbergh is a hero to me in many ways. He inspired me to join the aviators by design group. We are currently building a plane and are going to fly it when it is finished. He helped fight in World War II. He flew the Spirit of St. Louis all the way across the Atlantic Ocean. He also came up with the first artificial heart.

In conclusion, Charles Lindbergh is a hero to me because he was the first aviator to fly nonstop from New York City to Paris, across the Atlantic Ocean. He has inspired me to become an aviator myself. He also inspired transatlantic flights for airlines and military uses. He was a great guy and had a very interesting life.

Spirit of St. Louis 2 Project. Charles Lindbergh Biography. Spirit of St. Louis 2 Project, 2007. Web. 8 April. 2013. . Lindbergh Foundation. Charles A. Lindbergh-biography. Lindbergh foundation, 2009. Web. 9 Apr. 2013. . PBS. Fallen Hero: Charles Lindbergh in the 1940's. PBS, n.d. Web. 9 Apr. 2013. . Denenberg, Barry. An American Hero. The true story of charles A. Lindbergh. New York: Scholastics Inc., 1996,N. pag, print. Giblin, Janes C. Charles A. Lindbergh, A Human Hero. New York;Houghton Miffin Company, 1997, N. pag. Print.