Christa McAuliffe

by Fatima from Des Plaines

Christa Mcaliffe (aerospaceguide.net)
Christa Mcaliffe (aerospaceguide.net)

Sharon Christa Corrigan McAuliffe was born on September 2, 1948. She died January 28, 1986 in Boston, Massachusetts. Christa was an American teacher from Concord, New Hampshire. In 1985, she was elected from more than 11,000 people to participate in the NASA Teacher in Space Project. On January, 28, 1986 there were only 73 seconds to launch. She was one of the seven crew killed in the space shuttle Challenger disaster. After she died, schools and scholarships were named in her honor. In 2004, she won a Space Medal of Honor.

Christa McAuliffe
Christa McAuliffe

When she was elected, NASA hoped sending a teacher into space would increase more people to be interested in the space shuttle program. Days went by and then it was time for blast off. But something went wrong. The spaceship broke into parts. Columbia broke apart over Texas as some of the parts of the space ship went into earth. The scientists didn’t know what happened for months.

Her first job was to be a teacher. Then she was elected for the Teacher Space Program. What she liked about being a teacher is that she liked teaching about space. What she liked about the Teacher Space Program was going into space.

Christa Sharon McAuliffe is famous because she was the first teacher to go into space and discover the stars. Christa is not living. She died when the space ship blasted off because it went into parts.

Christa inspires me because she never gave up, she was so brave. She wasn’t scared of going into space. She succeeded. She is the person I admire. As I said Christa was the first teacher in space.