Chico Mendes

by Tyler from San Diego

"At first I thought I was fighting to save rubber trees, then I thought I was fighting to save the Amazon rainforest. Now I realize I am fighting for humanity."
Chico Mendes with his wife, Ilsamar Mendes (Wikipedia (Miranda Smith, Miranda Productions, Inc.))

Before 1500 A.D., there were approximately 6 million indigenous people living in the Brazilian Amazon. But as the forests disappeared, so did the people. In the early 1900s, there were less than 250,000 native people living in the Amazon ("Rainforests Facts ' The Nature Conservancy."). While it is common knowledge that the rainforests of the world, more particularly the Amazon rainforest are under attack by various organizations, including major world-wide companies with use for resources hidden within the rainforests, few people have actually attempted to defend the world's rainforests. In fact, the Amazon is the world's last major rainforest. One person, however, gave the ultimate sacrifice while defending his home and his life in the Amazon. His name was Chico Mendes. Francisco "Chico" Mendes was born in, raised in, and died in Xapuri, Brazil. He was part of a small group of rubber tappers that would extract rubber from trees in the rainforest. They did so in a way where the trees were left unharmed. Tappers also regularly came into conflict with the ranchers of the area, who preferred to burn down trees in order to make room for cattle grazing. Chico Mendes however, had enough of the conflict. He didn't want the rain forest to continue being violated, and so he became one of the world's major activists in favor of keeping the rainforest alive. On December 22, 1988, Chico Mendes was assassinated on his porch. When he stepped outside to take a bath, he was gunned down by a local rancher and his son ("Brazil's Elevation of Slain Activist to Hero Status Questioned"). He died fighting for what he believed in, and in so doing, he made worldwide news, and his death gathered in support from around the world. Chico Mendes possesses the virtues of a true hero: courage and the ability to sacrifice; he died fighting for what he loved the most: the Amazon rainforest.

One core reason why Chico Mendes deserves to be hailed as a hero, is because courage was required to do what he did. It takes real strength to stand up in front of the world and make a statement, which is exactly what Mendes did. Chico Mendes fought for the Amazon rainforest, knowing that he would receive threats against his life sooner or later, and he still chose to fight. Everyone fighting for any cause that affects more than one party would receive death threats eventually. Chico Mendes knew this, and still persevered. "A Brazilian colleague of Mendes in the environmental movement said recently that Mendes' death sparked 'the first mass movement in defense of the Amazon.' If that movement prods the Brazilian government toward greater efforts to protect that region and its rainforests, Mendes will not have died in vain."("Making a Difference : Chico Mendes . . .") Mendes knew that he would win either way. Either he would live and continue to bring awareness to his fight, or he would die and become a martyr for his cause, rallying even more support. Mendes, instead of resigning in front of the world, chose to fight. He chose to stand up for himself and his home, no matter the consequences. Mendes's death rallied support from across the world, and even in his own community. "The decision was applauded by scores of residents and family members of Mendes who jammed the tiny wooden courthouse." Mendes, even in death, brought massive amounts of supporters to his cause. People crammed into the courthouse to see justice be done for Mendes's death. Mendes used his courage to inspire people to defend that which cannot defend itself: the Amazon rainforest. But he also used something else to inspire people to join his cause.

Chico Mendes working with a rubber tree (Wikipedia Commons (Miranda Smith, Miranda Productions, Inc.))

The one event that always will rally at least some supporters to any cause, is a noble sacrifice made in order to achieve the greater good. Mendes made one such sacrifice. Mendes had to have known at one point that his life would be threatened. Instead of backing down, he chose to make the sacrifice that would come when it happened. Most leaders don't bother sacrificing anything, but Mendes sacrificed everything. "The people who killed Francisco (Chico) Mendes last month probably thought that they were ridding themselves of a problem. Instead they created a world-renowned martyr to the cause that he championed--saving the vast and endangered rain forests of the Brazilian Amazon."("Making a Difference : Chico Mendes . . .") This is very true. Mendes' death turned him into an international martyr which continues to bring in supporters to this day. No cause is without risk, and one that goes against major corporations and power-hungry smaller groups is still very dangerous. Mendes knew this, and continued to push forward. This happened as a result of the sacrifice Mendes made: "Last month, the federal government bestowed on Mendes the country's highest honor, declaring him a national hero and elevating him into its official pantheon. Only seven other Brazilians have been voted into the exclusive club, all of them dead for nearly a century or more." For Chico Mendes' death, he was awarded national Hero status in multiple countries. In turn, as a result of the award of Hero Status, money and support flowed in from all around the world. Concluding Sentence: Unlike many modern-day and even long-dead leaders, Mendes made the ultimate sacrifice when trying to defend his home.

Mendes didn't deserve to die, but he became a hero because of his courageous sacrifice. Mendes died knowingly, and he did so with courage. Because of this, he brought countless supporters to join him. Chico Mendes inspires everyone with the ultimate forfeiture, and with the courage it took to carry on his cause against dangerous people. Surprisingly and sadly, Chico's widow and children that he left behind fought against turning him into a national martyr, most likely to avoid publicity, but they were mistaken. The reclamation of the Rainforest had already begun!

Works Consulted

"Brazil's Elevation of Slain Activist to Hero Status Questioned." Los Angeles Times. Los  Angeles Times, 18 Oct. 2004. Web. 28 Jan. 2015.

"'Burning Season' Emerges From the Ashes : Movies: After Several False Starts, the Story about Slain Brazilian Rubber Tapper Chico Mendes Will Air on HBO." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 16 Sept. 1994. Web. 02 Feb. 2015.

"Defendant Confesses at Brazil Murder Trial : Criminal Justice: Rancher's Son Admits He Killed Rain-forest Environmentalist Chico Mendes in 1988." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 13 Dec. 1990. Web. 28 Jan. 2015.

"Defendants Found Guilty of Brazil Activist's Murder : Rain Forest: A Rancher and His Son Are Convicted of Killing Environmentalist Chico Mendes." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 16 Dec. 1990. Web. 28 Jan. 2015.

"Making a Difference : Chico Mendes . . ." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 22 Jan. 1989. .          Web. 28 Jan. 2015.

"Rainforests Facts | The Nature Conservancy." Rainforests Facts | The Nature Conservancy.       N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Feb. 2015.

Wikipedia - Wikipedia's page on Chico Mendes
LA Times - A database of all articles related to Chico Mendes
Environmental Defense Fund - Chico Mendes: A living legacy
Chico Mendes - MY HERO story by Jeff Trussell