Connie O'Connell

by Tommy from Geneva

A hero doesn't have to be a super hero, it can be a person from the street. Connie was a young girl with 3 types of cancer. One of them was leukemia. She was very nice and brave to fight her cancer. She was a hero to me and anyone else because she inspired people to never give up and she was a powerful hero when she died at age 6. Connie was a hero to anyone because of her achievements and for letting people be brave.

Connie O'Connell was born on December 17th 1993. She grew up in a family with one sister named Elizabeth who was 4 years old and her mom and dad. Every day Elizabeth woke up remembering that Connie was not there to tell jokes or share pictures after Connie had died.

She had cancer three times. When she was eleven months they found out she had leukemia. She had an 8% chance of survival but she was able to fight it. In 1996 she had a second relapse. Now she had a 1% chance of surviving. When she hit rock bottom she no longer spoke. Her chemotherapy ate away at the lining in her throat which made it painful to say and do the easiest things.

It could have been a one percent chance she would survive. In 1999 she was in the hospital with tubes and wires tied around her with her every last breath. Her whole family had to take a blood test to make sure if they had the right blood. Connie's four year old sister Elizabeth had the right blood for Connie to live and get a bone marrow transplant.

What Connie's family just wanted for Christmas was for Connie to live. In five years Connie's cancer would be cured before she could reach three years. But cancerous cells started to take over her body once more; she relapsed. Halloween came, Connie was becoming much worse. Halloween was the last time she would ever see her house. The last time at her own home was spent with her family, carving a pumpkin on the deck. When November came she hit rock bottom she no longer spoke. As Connie laid on the hospital bed she could kind of hear her family. Her heart monitor was slowly dropping down. It was 11:37 PM and her heart monitor went BEEEEEP with a straight line.