Colin Luther Powell

by J.T. from Mission Viejo

"Bad news isn't wine. It doesn't improve with age."

122808Colin Powell/wikipedia/commons/Colin Luther Colin was born in Harlem in 1937. His parents were immigrants from Jamaica, which emphasized the value of personal achievement and academics. In the South of Bronx is where Colin grew, there he graduated from high school with no plan or direction in life. He entered the College of New York with the prospect of studying geology and it was there that he found his calling: the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC). There, he advanced to become captain of his unit's precision drill team, graduating at the top of his ROTC class in 1958. He held the rank of cadet colonel, which is the highest rank in the corps.

Colin was advanced to a lieutenant in the Military. In 1963, Colin was wounded by a punji-stick snare while patrolling the Vietnamese border. He received the Purple Heart, and later the Bronze Star. Colin served a second series of warfare during 1968-69 in Vietnam. During this tour he became injured when a helicopter crashed. Despite his own injuries, he rescued his comrades in the helicopter and received the Soldier's Medal. In all, he has been awarded eleven military decorations, including the Legion of Merit.

Colin later earned an MBA at George Washington University and was promoted to major, and gained a White House fellowship. Colin was put to the Office of Management and Budget department, where he developed a lasting impression on the Director and Deputy Director of the Office. These men would call on Colin in their careers.

Colin, now a Colonel, was working in the White House Fellow, with experience as a battalion commander in Korea and a staff job in the Pentagon. After being a scholar at the Army War College, he was advanced to Brigadier General and commandeered an airborne brigade. Later on Colin became an assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense as well as the Secretary of Energy. He was promoted to Major General.

In 1986, Colin left Washington in order to serve as commander of the Fifth Corps, which is located in Frankfurt, Germany. However he was recalled to Washington to act as deputy to Frank Carlucci. A year later, Carlucci took the position of Secretary of Defense. Colin, now a Lieutenant General, took over the position of Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. Colin was the first African American to carry out this position, as he has been in every office he has held since.

In 1991, Colin became an international figure during successes in operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. General Colin continued to carry out the position as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs until he Colin retired shortly after the early parts of the Clinton administration.

In 2001President George W. Bush chose Colin to be Secretary of State. It was the highest rank ever held by an African American in the United States government. His first months in office, won him praise for his efficient administration of the State Department, and relations with other governments. Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, Secretary Colin took a leading position in uniting the United States’ allies for responsive action.

It was reported that Colin had serious doubts about President Bush’s plan to invade Iraq. However, Colin still appeared before the Security Council of the United Nations, where he provided evidence supporting Iraq had concealed a weapons development program. Colin's testimony was crucial in convincing members of the U.S. Congress to support militaristic actions in Iraq. Some of this evidence was later discredited and Colin Powell was subjected to cruel criticism. Shortly after President Bush's re-election in 2004, Colin stepped down as Secretary of State.

Colin he sustained a low public profile after his resignation, Colin at times offered nuanced criticism of the conduct of the war in Iraq. In October, just weeks before the election, he announced his support for the Democratic nominee, Senator Barack Obama.

Colin Powell’s actions in office and in the field distinguished him from others in the way he worked and led. He is great role model for young Americans. And some day I too wish work with the president and in the Pentagon as he did. That is why he is my hero.

By J.T. Stanley

Academy of Achievement - Colin Powell Info

N/A, N/A. "Academy of Achievement." [Online] Available http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/pow0bio-1. 1996-2009.