Charles M. Schulz

by Lucy from Taipei

Charles Schulz
Charles Schulz

My hero is Charles M. Schulz, an American cartoonist, whose best known works is Peanuts comic strip. Charles M. Schulz was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on November 26, 1922, and grew up in Saint Paul. He had been a barber and fought in the World War 2. He liked the cartoon since childhood; he often showed his life attitude in the cartoon. Schulz always deals with all the things by himself while other famous cartoons creators have a helper to help them design, draw the picture and write. Schulz's drawings were first published by Robert Ripley in his "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" His first regular cartoons, Li'l Folks, were published from 1947 to 1949 by the St. Paul Pioneer Press; he first used the name Charlie Brown for a character there. "Li'l Folks" was ceased in 1949. The next year, Peanuts made its first appearance on October 2, 1950.

Peanuts ran for nearly 50 years without interruption and become well-known in seventy countries and was translated into over twenty languages, Snoopy has accompanied three hundred million readers to laugh heartily every day. In the beginning, Schulz might not have thought that Snoopy could be so popular. The content of Peanuts isn’t about wars or sarcasm, but something close to our life. Schulz‘s comics always show the attitude of never giving up. “Becoming a cartoonist is beyond my imagination. How lucky I am! “Schulz said. Every one of his characters is an epitome in a real society. Lucy is a boss who holds her head high; Charles Brown is a blue collar who has a sense of being rose-tinted; Snoopy always advances bravely and has a childlike mind; Linus, who always sucks his fingers and holds a blanket, would give some useful advice to Charles Brown. The Comics of the day, which is easy to read and understand, is not only an art but teaches us philosophy of life.

<a href=http://www.snoopy.com/comics/peanuts/fun_and_games/images/snoopytyping_1280x960.jpg>Snoopy</a>
Snoopy

In November 1999, Schulz was diagnosed with a colon cancer that had spread to his stomach. Because he could not read and see clearly, he announced his retirement on December 14, 1999, at the age of 77. Schulz died of a heart attack in Santa Rosa on February 12, 2000. The last comic strip ran on the day after his death. In the will Schulz left, he had requested that the plot in Peanuts not be altered; thus, there are no new comics based on the same them.

Schulz received the Reuben Award in 1955 and 1964 for Peanuts. He was the first person who won this prize twice. Schulz was also a recipient of the Silver Buffalo Award, the highest adult award given by the Boy Scouts of America, for his service to American youth. On June 28, 1996, Schultz’s hand print was inscribed on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, next to Walt Disney’s. A replica of this star appeared outside of his former studio in Santa Rosa.

<a href=http://www.snoopy.com/comics/peanuts/meet_the_gang/meet_snoopy.html>Snoopy's first appearance
Snoopy's first appearance

Why would I become a big fan of Snoopy? I think I was attrected by his wild imagination. Snoopy can be a surgeon, pilot, writer, or lawyer. The conversation between those characters reflects Sculuz’s view point of the world. Schulz was concerned about the world through the cartoon. I also adore his attitude toward work and his sense of humor. I believe you will fall in love with Snoopy after entering his world.