Cheryl Strayed

by Sarah from Calgary

"I'd finally come to understand what it had been: a yearning for a way out, when actually what I had wanted to find a way in."
Web of Adjectives (MInd Meister (Me/Mind Meister))

The book I read for my second book report is called Wild. It is an autobiography written by Cheryl Strayed. I chose this book because I was looking online for good biography books to read and the book Wild caught my eye. This adventurous biography is 311 pages long. Wild takes place when Cheryl Strayed was 22 years old. The #1 New York Times bestselling memoir Wild was published in 2012. The author of this book, (Cheryl Strayed) was born in Spangler, Pennsylvania, on September 17, 1968. Cheryl Strayed got divorced because of her mom having lung cancer. After awhile she decided she would get remarried though.

Portrait Picture of Cheryl Strayed  (I drew it (I drew it ))
Portrait Picture of Cheryl Strayed (I drew it (I drew it ))

Cheryl Strayed grew up at Chaska, Minnesota with her family. At age thirteen she moved to Aitkin County with her mom, stepdad, brother and sister. Cheryl's mother, Barbara Anne was Cheryl's hero because she always loved her. Cheryl Strayed was never really friends with her step father Glenn Lambrecht but she had to learn to live with him because her mother loved him. She has two siblings that she loves very much: Karen, her sister and Lief, her brother. At age 17, Cheryl Strayed graduated High School and moved on to the University of Minnesota. I couldn't really find any information on what she likes but from what I read from the book I'm guessing that she liked to write and draw. The one person who really inspired her was her kind and loving mother. Cheryl Strayed never really had a dream, she always says that her path will reveal itself sooner or later. When Cheryl was a girl she didn't know what she wanted to become. There is nothing in her early years that foreshadowed the story of her life.

Action Picture (I drew it (I drew it))
Action Picture (I drew it (I drew it))

The first very big challenge that Cheryl Strayed faced in her life was losing her mother. Her siblings faced the same heart breaking challenge as she did so they helped her with it. Another challenge that she had was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail by herself. During the Pacific Crest Trail the only thing that really helped her finish her hike was her spirit telling her to never give up and to be brave. There were also a few men that she met when she was on her adventurous journey and they were very nice to her, they encouraged her to finish what she had started and that she was doing just fine even though she was a slow walker. Cheryl Strayed was very determined, she never gave up on her dreams and she was also very caring. When her mom was in the hospital dying she was the one of the three siblings that was helping her out with her mother's cancer. Cheryl is very courageous, she decided to hike 2,650 mile trail and she never gave up, I would love to meet someone as courageous as her. Her weakest weakness was the thought that her mom wasn't with her anymore, she keeps thinking and regretting that she could've been a better daughter. One of her biggest awards included her "Goodreads Choice Awards Best Memoir And Autobiography".

It really pleased me that she kept on hiking and she never gave up on herself because if she wanted she could've just quit. One question that I would love to ask her is if she got another horse after killing Lady her mom's horse. Another question would be that if she could change anything about her life what would it be, I wonder if she would change the fact of her mother's death. I would also like to ask her what person most inspired her during her hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. I don't really know if I would like her as a mother but if I did have her as a mom it would really neat to know that you have someone in your family that has accomplished so much. I would give this book a 4.5/5, this is because it was really well written and entertaining but sometimes it was described too much and nothing really happened. The most important thing I learnt from this book is to follow your heart and never give up. I think that everyone would enjoy reading this book, her story is very encouraging and I think that if people took the time to read it they would fall in love with it. I am very happy that I chose this book because it might be the best book I've read so far. I really like it because it's not just an ordinary life, it's her wild life. I would consider Cheryl Strayed as a role model for sure because she believes that anyone can do anything if they try hard enough.