Chuck Yeager

by Seth from San Diego

"But risks are the spice of life, and this is the kind of moment that a test pilot lives for. The butterflies are fluttering, but you feed off fear as if it''s a high-energy candy bar."

Being dropped from a dangling height of 25,000 feet to achieve the speed of sound is an overwhelming thought. But it didn't hinder Chuck Yeager from staying as cool as a cucumber throughout those moments when he put his life on the line.  Chuck Yeager established himself as indisputably one of the most important figures in aviation when he left his life to chance on numerous occasions in the effort to make an impact in piloting.  Chuck Yeager, born on February 13, 1923 in Myra, West Virginia, is a legend in the domain of supersonic flight. During the span of his career as a pilot, Yeager served in the U.S. Air Force from 1941- 75, flew missions in World War II in Europe, and became the first man to break the sound barrier in 1947 continuing test flights until 1954. He also flew various command assignments in Europe and the United States from 1954- 62, flew missions in the Vietnam War, and became the director of aerospace safety in 1973 (Newsmakers). Yeager was one of the most tenacious pilots, and unmatchable in skill to any other pilot. Throughout his career, he accomplished several missions that took distinguished courage, although Yeager still believed he was just doing his duty for his country. Chuck Yeager is an icon in American history because he exemplifies unfaltering courage, made a choice to dutifully serve his country, and showed determination through demanding circumstances. He is without question a notable inspiration not just for the achievements and the revolutionary impact he initiated, but because of his will to do what others wouldn't.

Courage in fact, is a resolute quality many men lack, but the same cannot be said for the audacious Chuck Yeager. During the prime of his life and incidentally World War II, the need for speed was more prominent and essential than it ever was prior. The reason is because first, during a fight, a faster aircraft could acquire targets, and with the right design, outmaneuver them. Second, faster aircraft could outrun the enemy when retreating from dangerous situations. And third, at high speeds, the probability of being shot was significantly reduced (Andrews). Each of these benefits deemed crucial during World War II, and that is why breaking the sound barrier was a necessary goal. Attaining the speed of sound was considered an altogether impossible feat, but it drove countries wild in the effort to arrange tests that could defeat the barrier; although: "Compressibility was so difficult to handle that the British, after losing one of their best pilots, terminated their supersonic research flights. The X-1 had hit the "barrier" that had led other aircraft to crash or disintegrate. Sensor data showed that turbulence near the wing actually froze the hinge on the wing's elevator, which was why Yeager couldn't move it. The team was faced with a decision-quit or risk having the X-1 disintegrate with Yeager inside... Yeager took the X-1 up to Mach 1.07 (700 mph [1,126 kph]), and he was able to land the vehicle safely after having created the first man-made sonic boom" (Andrews). Attempts to break the sound barrier were detrimental because they dispatched pilots who, like Yeager, were models to adhere by. Despite the dangers breaking the sound barrier posed, Yeager's fearless attitude and pure nerve when confronting this challenge ultimately set him apart from others. He had a choice to either abandon the mission, which he knew would set back the United States in the race to achieve the speed of sound, or continue knowing that just a few moments worth of indecision could cost him his life. His boundless courage paved a path of success, and banished all doubts allowing him to surmount the barrier that had hindered further advancements in supersonic flight. Yeager's effort to break records displayed his exceptional courage: "In 1963 Yeager tested an experimental plane designed for high altitude flying, the NF-104, to see if it could beat the record set by a Soviet military plane of 113,890 feet. Yeager reached 108,000 feet when the plane spun out of control, and he was forced to eject from the plane. He was severely burned on the left side of his face and left hand. He spent a month in the hospital but was able to return to flying duties and as head of the experimental test pilot school" ("Chuck Yeager." Encyclopedia). There are those who sit back and watch, and contrastingly there are those who define themselves, who tackle challenges, who take risks, those exquisite people like Chuck Yeager. Yeager constantly put his life in jeopardy as a sacrifice for the benefit of aviation. In this example, Yeager showed true courage by attempting to defeat yet another record, and he paid a price. Ultimately, Yeager must be credited for making sacrifices and for taking risks that could potentially harm him, end his career, or possibly his life. By returning to flight duties after his recovery, Yeager proved that he was still up for the harsh challenges being a test pilot gives. He experienced the dangers of flying head on, and still was brave enough to continue with his push to make an impact in aviation. Without Yeager's courage, there would still be countless nagging questions at hand, never to be eradicated from the minds of the world. Yeager's achievements alleviated all uncertainties and doubts, and commenced a new path for aviation.

A loyal patriot, Chuck Yeager possessed a strong inclination to aid his country. He isn't a hero simply because of his achievements. He earned the title because rather than living an ordinary life, he chose to make the most of it by serving his country. Even brave Yeager admitted that dying was a thought that surfaced occasionally, but he said that risking his life was a duty, and America needed him to fulfill that duty, and so he did: "During World War II (1939- 1945), he served as a fighter pilot. In 1975, he retired from the military with the rank of brigadier general" (Hallion). No one told Yeager to become a fighter pilot or risk his life testing airplanes and trial running flights. Yeager is role model status because he took a stand, made a change, not for his own wellbeing, but for his country, for the greater good. Yeager served as a pilot for 35 years in the U.S. Air Force, which is proof of how much dedication he lavished upon his country. The world must commemorate Chuck Yeager because not only was he just a man who took risks. He was a man who fought bravely and vigorously for his country, America. Being a general is a clear sign you are not only are able to lead others, but you are willing to represent and defend your nation. Yeager embodied the principles of a hero, and represented the United States with honor through his actions: "As the United States began mobilizing for World War II, Yeager enlisted in the Army Air Force in 1941 at the age of 18. In 1943 he became a flight officer, a non-commissioned officer who could pilot aircraft. He went to England where he flew fighter planes over France and Germany during the last two years of the war" ("Chuck Yeager." Encyclopedia). Proving a devoted patriot, Yeager flew planes over France and Germany, disposing adversaries that provided potential threats to America, showing that his country's requisite was of greater value than his own. Yeager sacrificed his life for his country by enlisting in the Army Air Force at age 18, and that's what makes him a hero, because heroes are willing to lay down their lives for others. Yeager supported his country with obligation by joining the army, flying to other countries, and contributing to World War II.  Rather than standing on the sidelines, Yeager made the decision to be the one in the action and the one to serve his country.

A hero must have a thorough arsenal of qualities that support the deduction of his heroic nature, one of them needing to be determination. Yeager's determination was an asset that pushed his courage forward and allowed him to constantly tackle the obstacles he faced: "Afraid of being taken off the flight, he drove to a local town and saw the doctor there who told him that he had broken two ribs. Yeager went ahead with the flight without telling anyone of his injury." ("Chuck Yeager." Encyclopedia). Being able to push through a flight at Mach 1 (the speed of sound), with two broken ribs that have not even started to heal seems suicide. Yet, Yeager continued with the plan of his flight taking place on October 14, 1947. The incredible element of this act of determination is the fact that he didn't tell anyone of his injury because he was afraid of being taken off the flight. Yeager's willingness to pursue the mission rather than abandon it exemplifies his hard- working nature and determination which earned him 3 victories that day: maintaining the date of his flight, achieving Mach 1 with 2 broken ribs, and eliminating all doubts regarding the mysterious sound barrier. In addition to enduring a flight past the speed of sound with 2 maimed ribs, Chuck Yeager showed his determination on another occasion: "During his first few flights in Germany, he became violently ill. But by the end of the war he had shot down 13 German fighters, including 5 in one day." (Newsmakers). Despite being violently ill, Yeager didn't let a health issue stop him from tracking down his enemies and completing his objective. His knack of pushing through obstacles and hindrances is why Yeager is an inspiration. Chuck Yeager was an adamant hero because he was relentless in his determination, always pushing himself to overcome barriers, mental and physical ones. He didn't let obstacles hold back latent potential, and he strived for his limit throughout the course of his life.

Demonstrating poise and gallantry, compliance and perseverance, and allegiance to his country, Chuck Yeager was brave enough to take the road less traveled by. Yeager became the first man to break the sound barrier, resulting primarily from the courage he posed when meeting rigorous challenges. Yeager also revealed his dedication to America by diligently serving in the military for over 35 years. In addition, Yeager did not let a pair of broken ribs hold him back from attaining Mach 1, providing a prime example of how Yeager was determined and disciplined. Having the ability to persist despite undermining circumstances is what solidified Yeager as my hero.  Without Yeager's steady determination and courage, the indomitable question in aviation would still be whether the speed of sound could be broken. Chuck Yeager was the greatest, most remarkable man because he risked his life for several decades in the effort to make an impact in aviation and in his country.  Yeager showed the world he was a hero, proved he was a man of his country, and inspired me through his unwavering courage and determination of steel. Lessons can be learned from a great pilot and a great man who possessed not only skills that enabled him to accomplish what others couldn't, but also possessed the ability to utilize his heroic qualities to pursue the things others wouldn't. 

Andrews, Peter J. "Breaking the Sound Barrier." Science and Its Times: Understanding the Social Significance of Scientific

Discovery. Ed. Josh Lauer and Neil Schlager. Vol. 6. Detroit:  Gale, 2000. 44-46. Global Issues In Context. Web. 20

Mar. 2014.

Baker, Daniel B. "Yeager, Chuck (1923-)." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Ed. Suzanne M. Bourgoin. 2nd ed. Detroit: Gale

Research, 1998. 17 vols.Student Resource Center - Junior. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 17 Mar. 2014.

"Chuck Yeager." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.

Hallion, Richard P. "Yeager, Charles Elwood." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2014. Web.  18 Mar. 2014.

Gale Biography In Context - Celebrates the best of humanity
Gale Student Resources In Context - Puts heroes on pedestals
Gale Virtual Reference Library - Details the life of everyday role models

Chuck Yeager still soars at 89 years old. He will be forever remembered for being the first person to exceed the sound barrier. Without this man, man would be yet to travel to the moon, for rockets, necessary to flight outside of earth, would need to break the sound barrier. In fact, without this man, man would be attempting to figure out more of the mysteries in space, with futile, desperate hope. And without Chuck Yeager, aviation would be long behind where it stands today. Yeager enabled us to venture into unknown territories, foreign worlds, and extreme speeds. What a man of courage, and what a life he lived. He truly is the greatest hero that ever flew this earth.