Winston Spencer Churchill

by Bill from Columbia

Winston Spencer Churchill was born in Blenheim Palace, Woodstock on November 30, 1874. He was educated at Harrow, then at the Royal Military College in Sandhurst. He fought with the four Hussars in 1894. With his smooth speech he was able to write books and supply papers with news of the war. He was then captured, but escaped without aid. He grew up to be one of the toughest heroes of WWII.

When WWII began in Europe, it was as Churchill had predicted. Hitler had not held to his promises. Britain’s previous minister had been paying off Hitler to stay out of Britain, or so he thought. Hitler was just waiting for the money to stop. Churchill knew eventually Hitler would turn his eyes to Britain. The money stopped coming.

Britain was soon the last free European country. The Germans thought that the British were Aryains. However, Churchill knew that what the Germans were doing was wrong. He could not except the offer to join the Germans. Even though they were ruthlessly bombed by the Germans, Churchill held out knowing that once Europe fell, all the other countries would soon fall.

Winston Churchill is definitely my hero. This may sound selfish but, once Europe was conquered it would not be long before the war was centered on the United States. Although his people were dying, he continued for the greater good. The fate of the world. Even though his people would be decimated and his reputation smashed, he continued on.

Winston Churchill has helped me in a way. He helps me to remember even when I’m being trounced for doing something good, I can remember the greater good.