David Crane

by Cameron from Mission Viejo

"Looking back, video game design seems a natural fit, although there was no such thing when I was growing up. I built a Tic-Tac-Toe playing machine in my teens which went up in smoke on the night it was scheduled to go to a science fair." -David Crane
Portrait of David Crane (wiki (n/a))
Portrait of David Crane (wiki (n/a))

In 2005, I started out playing games like Call of Duty, because of the fast pace first-person action. I really liked the game so, I researcedh the game and discovered it was made by Activition. Activition was founded by David Crane and Howard Marks. I really like the style of games that David makes and it is interesting how his career evolved from a computer hardware designer to a game programmer. I am a junior at Capistrano Valley High School in Mission Viejo, California and want to get a job making video games.

To have a successful career for making video games it is helpful to have a college degree in computer science, but it is not required. Many computer programmers are passionate about their work and teach themselves to program at an early age. According to Glassdoor.com Salary's range from $44,000 to $98,000. With the computer sciences degree there are other career options such as computer programming, website development, software architect, etc. The video game industry grew from $2 billion in annual sales in 1982 to $70 billion in 2015. There are more jobs than ever in video game development and it looks like the industry will keep growing.

Pitfall Game Box Cover (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall! (n/ ())

David Crane was born in Nappanee, Indiana, United States in 1953. David graduated high school in 1972 and then attended the DeVry School of Technology. David started his career in 1975 as a hardware designer for National Semiconductor. When David was 29 years old, he then shifted careers and went into video game design and programming at Atari. Over his entire career he has developed and collaborated on over 30 games. But he is most recognized for the blockbuster game Pitfall! Pitfall! has sold over 4 million copies and won the video game of the year award in 1982. David not only designed games, he worked on the Atari 800 operating system and he holds several patents for hardware designs. In 1979, following his success at Atari, David went on to co-found Activision with Howard Marks. At Activision, David continued to make games for the Atari 2600 console. In 1986 he left Activision and co-founded Absolute Entertainment with Garry Kitchen. He left Absolute Entertainment and co-founded Skyworks Technologies with Garry Kitchen in 1995. Skyworks is a multimedia company that creates interactive marketing and games targeted at the Internet and mobile devices like the iPhone. David Crane's games and companies have been very successful. He has a personal net worth estimated at over $200 million dollars. He currently working as an independent video game developer and video game expert witness.

The many companies that David Crane has founded have provided thousands of jobs. The games he has created have entertained generations and inspired countless other to follow in his footsteps.

My high school goals are to get an excellent grade in my Art and Animation course and, of course, to graduate. My college goals are to major in game design and art. One of my lifetime goals are to continue to improve and expand on my art skills and styles. I would also like to learn to create digital art, paint with oils, and learn photography.

Glassdoor website - Video game career statistics
Wikipedia page on video games - Video Game Industry History
NNDB People Tracker - more information on David Crane