Desmond T. Doss

by James

Desmond T Doss is my hero because he is brave, smart and committed and did a lot for our country. Desmond T Doss was born on February 7, 1919.  A couple of years into his life, his brother and father got into a fight. It was mild until his father pulled out a gun. Desmond was gone for the fight but he got back just in time to see his dad get into the police car and drive away; that day he swore he would never use a gun. A couple of years later he enlisted in the army as a medic. When he arrived at the base he went to training but what he didn't realize was that he was going to have to shoot a gun. He refused and refused until they allowed him to not carry a gun into battle. He was so strong in his beliefs and wouldn't let anybody sway him and this is why he is my hero.

Desmond was brave because he went into battle with only his fists to keep himself safe. One day when they were on a mission they started taking enemy fire from all sides with no cover. Desmond ran out to help the wounded and he kept healing them all throughout the fight. Then he noticed someone got shot in the wide open, he ran out into the wide open and out of the corner of his eye he saw a machine gun barrel pointing straight at him. When he was healing the patient all he was saying to himself was "Please don't shoot please don't shoot." and he didn't. He helped the man to safety and just as he thought it was all over he got shot in the leg by an unseen sniper. Throughout his pain he kept healing as his men took out the shooters. When Desmond and his troop began moving out they started taking more fire and it was too much for them. Then Desmond tied everyone to a rope and let them down the 400-foot drop to safety one by one. After, he almost passed out from blood loss and exhaustion. This is why I think he is brave.

Desmond was committed to his religion and to the army. Two ways he showed his commitment were praying and going to church whenever he could. He always prayed before and after battles. The army said that the only reason his men survived was because Desmond prayed. He was committed to the army because he never stopped healing his men with bullets flying inches from his body. He kept healing even when he was shot in the leg. He also never gave up when he helped 75 people down the 400-foot drop one by one until they were safe and then he almost passed out from exhaustion. Desmond was constantly showing his commitment to the army and his religion. These are just some examples of his commitment.

Desmond is smart because he thought of things that most people wouldn't think of in times of strain. He also had the added pressure of taking care of 75 other people. One example of this is when Desmond and his troop were taking heavy fire from the Japanese. Desmond did was smart when he take care of him when he was injured badly. This happened when his friend's gun accidentally went off and destroyed Desmond's arm. Desmond used two guns, one on each side of his arm as a splint. He was also smart because he would never use drugs or alcohol unless prescribed. Desmond had the ability to think in high-risk situations coming up with creative ways to help people including himself.

Desmond is brave, smart and committed with everything he does whether it be going to church in the morning or risking his life for others. He isn't afraid to do anything or try anything, even if it might be suspending men 400 feet above the ground so they don't get shot. Or going to church and praying before every mission and after every mission. Desmond is brave, smart and committed but these are not the only reasons why he is my hero. He is my hero because he has inspired me to be braver and more committed in everything I do and not let people sway me from what I think is right.