Dian Fossey

by Kiersten from Dublin

I think a hero should be kind and determined. A hero should be determined to make the world a better place. Heroes care about the welfare of others. My hero is Dian Fossey, and she had all of these traits.

Dian Fossey was born in San Francisco in 1932. She was recommended by a famous scientist to go to Africa. She loved the gorillas of Rwanda and was determined to keep them safe from both poachers, who were killing them, and tourists, who were transmitting diseases to the gorillas. She was kind to the animals she studied and was trying to save, which she studied for years. Peanut, one of these gorillas, once touched her hand. Peanut became the first gorilla to touch a human. Dian cared deeply about the safety of the gorillas on the mountain. Sadly, some people did not agree with Dian’s ideas. In December 1985, she was found dead in her cabin in the Virunga Mountains.

Dian Fossey devoted her life to the most endangered ape, one of the world’s animals that has the greatest risk of disappearing.

Kind, determined, and caring. That is why Dian Fossey is my hero!