Dan Jiru

by Delaney

Do you often think that you're just a normal person? Could you ever really impact the world, it's impossible? Sure that might be true; the entire world is kind of difficult to change. Why not start small, like in your community perhaps? You may not think it's much, but a little can go a long way.

Dan Jiru is a perfect example. Very few people know who he was, but I think more should. Dan was an average man, not anything very special. He did nothing more then a few simple accomplishments. Those accomplishments, changed many lives and acted as an inspiration to people wanting to help. Dan Jiru was a true hero.

Dan worked at St. Paul High School in Whittier, CA teaching religion. He was very devoted to the Catholic belief in helping others, especially the poor. Dan saw what they were going through, all the tragedy, and suffering, of them not even knowing if they'd be able to eat for the week. He wanted others to see that the less fortunate really needed help. That's when he started the St. Paul March for Hunger.

The March for hunger was a 26-mile walk that started in Salazar Park and ended at Santa Monica. It started early in the morning and ended in the evening. More than 90% of the student body and faculty participated as well as many student volunteers (www.the-tidings.com). They walked through the poorest of towns and the students were really exposed to life in poverty and it made them want to help others.

Some might say Dan Jiru wasn't a hero. Maybe because it doesn't seem that he really did much for the community. In fact, all he seems to do is walk students around through different cities and tire them out making them sore the next morning. That's where you may be wrong. Dan also started a soup kitchen in the neighborhood for the homeless, where students often volunteered. Furthermore, the Walk for Hunger helped society more than you would think. The students all raised money themselves as part of the walk. They had to take initiative and work hard to raise their individual funds for the 26-mile walk. Then, all proceeds went to the Catholic Worker Hospitality Kitchen. That's why Dan is considered a hero. Dan Jiru was truly remarkable. He taught kids what it means to help others. Was a great inspiration and shows others that no matter how small you think you are on a level of importance, you can go and make a difference. Dan also reflects, that you don't need to do something huge to impact others. Dan Jiru was a hero.