Domingo Faustino Sarmiento

by Sofia Gold from Buenos Aires

Domingo faustino Sarmiento

Sarmiento was born in San Juan the 15th February 1811. He was the son, of Jose Clemente Sarmiento y Paula Albarracin. In 14826 he started to teach in San Francisco in San Luis. He come back to San Juan in 14827 and he had to work in a grocer’s. During his free time he studied science, art and other things and went on studying until he died.

Then he went to Chile were he worked as a teacher, miner and in a shop. In 1837 he returned to San Juan, two years later he organised school and funded a newspaper “El Zonda”, but he was imprisoned because of this newspaper. He emigrated to Chile were he founded “El Nacional” and worked in “El Mercurio”. He also a created the normal school where he was the headmaster, and he continued working in journalism. From 1845 to 1848 he travelled through Europe and USA. In 1852 he joined Urquiza’s army but he left Argentina and later stopped being Alberdi’s friend.

He become deputy, senator, minister and governor of San Juan from 1862 to 1864. He was the president of Argentina from 1868 to 1874 He wrote many important books such as “Facundo”, “de la educación popular”, “recuerdos de provincia”, “ comentarios de la conmstitución” and “conflictos “, “armonia de las razas en America“. He was a fighter for the public education

I chose Sarmiento because he was a teacher, journalist, poet, translator, politician, diplomatic, militaryman, governor and president of Argentina. He was involved in getting the best for our country, he did everything with passion and love.