Diana F. Spencer

by Michelle from San Diego

"I don't go by the rule book... I lead from the heart, not the head."- Princess Diana
Princess Diana: Heroic...and photogenic! (http://domesticlovella.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/princess-diana.jpeg)

If you ask a seven year old her depiction of a fairytale princess, she would describe a beautiful, compassionate, and loving lady. That imaginary princess became a dream come true. Truly deserving of her title, Princess Diana’s love for others radiates through and even after her reign as princess of Wales. Diana serves as a heroic icon because she did not crown herself; she crowned others.

Diana Frances Spencer was born on July 1,1961 to Lord and Lady Althorp. She had two sisters and one brother. Her childhood became rough after her parents divorced when Diana was just 8 years old. Not the brightest student, she dropped out of school at the age of 16. She became homesick when her father sent her to finish school at Chateau d'Oex and later came back to Norfolk, working as a maid and a kindergarten teacher. Lady Sarah, Diana’s older sister, introduced Diana to Wale’s most eligible bachelor, Prince Charles. "[Diana] taught him how to tap-dance on the terrace," a family friend once told McCall's. "He thought she was adorable ... full of vitality and terribly sweet." And Diana thought the prince was “pretty amazing”. After about three years, Charles proposed to Diana in Buckingham palace February of 1981. Their spectacular imitation of a “fairytale wedding” took place on July 29, 1981 under the dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral. Afterwards, the couple was blessed with two sons: William and Harry. Disregarding royal rules, Diana treated her sons as normally as possible, showering them in all her love. Princess Diana began to involve herself in many charities. Unfortunately, Diana's marriage began to collapse; their divorce became final in December of 1992. But despite her bitter divorce, Diana continued her charity work. On the sad day of August 31, 1997, Diana died in a tragic car crash after speeding away from the paparazzi at a deathly speed of 90 MPH. The world mourned for the loss of its angel.

Wale's Angel (http://www.biographyonline.net/people/diana/images/diana-charity.jpg)

Throughout her life, Princess Diana inspired the world through her charitable actions which touched the hearts of millions. She fought against drug abuse and called attention to homelessness. Diana visited victims of a land mine and victims of an Irish Republican army bombing in Northern Ireland. She was involved in 44 charities! The Princess of Wales turned into a global role model. She displayed a most heartfelt act when she shook hands with patients of AIDS, dismissing the fact that people, including the royal family, at the time were terrified to touch victims of the disease. Diana explained, "HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug: Heaven knows they need it". In response, the director of the National Policy Center for Children applauded,"With that handshake, she educated the world about compassion, love, and understanding" (Harvey). Within only a few seconds, the Princess showed the world one of the makings of a true hero. She stepped out of her way and defied the world's opinion to do what she believed was right. Inspiring many, the "people's princess" shines with selfless, humble and yet simple acts of kindness her entire lifetime.

(http://www.biography.com/featured-biography/princess-diana/images/princess-diana.jpg)

Even after the eventful divorce of Diana and Charles, Diana's caring activities was not altered in any way. Deep within her, Diana felt hopeless, just like anybody on the verge of getting a divorce. In addition, she couldn't handle the pressures of royal life. In an interview broadcast in 1995, Diana said that during most of her marriage, she had "a feeling of being no good at everything and useless and hopeless and failed in every direction." In despair, she tried to kill herself many times, cut herself with a lemon peeler, and developed an eating disorder. But through it all, Diana stayed strong. She was a positive example for people who were in the same situation as her. "Diana's battle to overcome marital and emotional problems won the admiration if millions of people--particularly women--who shared similar struggles" (Parello). Something as simple as keeping her head up turned Diana into a hero. Diana knew millions looked up to her and she displayed the right way to handle heartbreaking situations similar to hers. She moved on in life and found a way to channel out all her frustration and disappointment. "After her marriage crumbled, she translated her own pain into the desire to comfort the suffering of others and used her international celebrity to champion charitable causes". (Parello). Diana's right way of handling problems made her into a great role model. That's what a hero is. Someone who despite all their pain, still make the right decisions in hopes that they could set a positive example to follow.

Princess Diana's selfless attitude sets her apart from other people. In 1993, Diana announced that in an attempt to avoid the media's constant coverage of her activities, she would withdraw from public life, though she would continue her charity work. Clearly, the princess did not do her charity work for publicity or because she felt obligated to. Diana helped others because she already had compassion in her heart...it can't be taken away from her. "Anywhere I see suffering, that is where I want to be, doing what I can."(Spencer). To Princess Diana, charity work was not just an activity. It was her passion, something she wholeheartedly loved to do. Acknowledging the fact that with her power came responsibility, she stated, "I knew what my job was; it was to go out and meet the people and love them. "(Spencer). Through all her fame and authority, she was not corrupt. She used her royalty as an asset for others. Diana Spencer's desire to be a servant unto others personally raised her to a heroic level that many look up to.

Although her life was brief, it was valued. There are many lessons that can be learned through Princess Diana's experiences. There are many steps that can be followed after Princess Diana. Diana's actions created her into a legend. She inspires millions to help one another, make the right decisions even when circumstances are at their worst, and love others regardless. She was a crowned hero. For Princess Diana Frances Spencer used all her power to privilege others. And for that, she will always be remembered.