Dr. David Suzuki

by Kaitlyn from Anmore, Canada

Dr. David Suzuki

Dr. David Suzuki is my hero! He's an environmentalist and he lives in beautiful British Columbia. He inspires people and is ever changing their views. People like him inspired me so much that I'm making the environment a priority in my home. Maybe he’ll inspire you the same way! I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

David Suzuki has dedicated his whole life to stopping global warming. He's tried to get the word out about this major problem by doing many T.V. shows like "the Nature of Things" and is an author of quite a few books (both for children and for adults). He's inspired millions across Canada and around the world including his daughter!

He's an amazing activist in the community! He's made products and solutions to give back to the community and to the world. Climate change is considered by many people to be the most serious threat facing the world today. But most people don't know about it and some do know about it and don't do anything about it! That's why we need amazing people like Dr.Suzuki to help.

He's also interested in the oceans. According to David Suzuki, "Today's Ocean Health Is Tomorrow's Future" because the ocean plays a big part in global warming. British Columbia's amazing waters and views are famous around the world. People come here from around the world to British Columbia to take part in great activities : canoeing, sailing, kayaking, whale watching, and tons more. Even though the coasts are amazing and full of life, a fair amount of people want to drill for oil which also puts everything around them in danger. That's why amazing people like David Suzuki try to do what they can to help to try to prevent it and to maybe even put an end to it. Maybe so can you!

“In the environmental movement . . . every time you lose a battle it's for good, but our victories always seem to be temporary and we keep fighting them over and over again.” said Mr. Suzuki. That's why you should read this book "Eco-Fun: Great Projects, Experiments, and Games for a Greener Earth." In this book it tells you great things you can do in your house and around your neighborhood to make a difference. It may be small but a little bit will go a long way. “We're in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyone's arguing over where they're going to sit.” Sooner or later if we don't do anything and just sit around watching T.V., the earth won't be able to hold us anymore! I mean we're destroying the earth's atmosphere. We're melting the ice in the North and South Pole. Many different animals have to move to an unexpected place due to global warming. Fruit flies generally like warmer weather. And now because of global warming they're moving to places that used to be below freezing temperatures. Plus with the warmer winters we're having, the pine beetles aren't dying off very easily and our forests are being destroyed all over BC! Many scientist are worried that soon there might be an ice age but that isn't something you have to worry about; it will happen long after you and I are gone.

I'm not saying that would happen tomorrow but maybe if we don't do anything it could happen in the future. Maybe after you read more about him with my links he'll inspire you the same way. Maybe he'll inspire you to make a difference...to stand up to the biggest of things.....and..to try! Maybe if you have some ideas on making a difference you could post them here on Dr Suzuki's page and call them environmental ideas!