Earthkeepers

David Suzuki

by Ethan from Oshawa

“In the environmental movement . . . every time you lose a battle it's for good, but our victories always seem to be temporary and we keep fighting them over and over again.” - David Suzuki

David was born in B.C, Canada to his parents Setsu and Kaoru Kaoru Carr Suzuki in 1936. During the 20th century David's grandparents had immigrated to Canada and therefore David is a third-generation Japanese Canadian. David grew up in Marpole, B.C., and grew up with his twin sister Marcia, his parents, and their dry cleaning business. David's father was an outdoors enthusiast and brought David on many trips while he was growing up.

Following the Pearl Harbor attacks in 1942, David and his family were sent to an internment camp in the Slocan Valley and his father sent to a labour camp in Solsqua. The Government sold the family dry cleaning business. David was a target for other Japanese youths because he refused to denounce his Canadian roots. During their horrible time in the internment camp, David's second sister Dawn was born. After the war, David an his family stayed in an abandoned hotel in an former gold rush town for three years, and then they moved around a lot.

David enrolled in Amherst College in Massachusetts on scholarship in 1954. He graduated in 1958 and then got his PhD in zoology from the university of Chicago and then returned to Canada at the same time beginning his own family and marrying Setsuko Joane Sunahara and having three children; Tamiko Troy and Laura. In 1962 David got a teaching position at the University of Alberta. Soon after he began gathering support for underfunded sciences on television.

David took his most famous role on television in 1979 on "The Nature of Things" which is still airing after three decades. It was labeled a hit and became one of the most popular and respected shows on Canadian television. David has earned many awards, including the Order of Canada, Canada's most prestigious award, a UNESCO prize for science and a United Nations Environment Program medal. He also finished 5th on the top ten best Canadians in award conducted by CBC in 2004.

David started the David Suzuki Foundation which is a "non-profit dedicated to finding innovative solutions to help conserve the natural world."