Diana of Wales

by Ashley from San Diego

(http://www.macdirectory.com/component/option,com_exclusive_news/task,ViewAll/)

To the left is a woman who can only be described as a princess. Beautiful, elegant, dripping with pearls and diamonds, and complete with a Mona Lisa worthy smile—the person portrayed in this image could represent little other than someone of great wealth and power. And yet, she does. Involved in charities dedicated to AIDS, leprosy, and children’s hospitals, she proved herself to be more than your average heiress. Unlike the narcissists that often make up the rich, she is truly a princess of the people. Diana of Wales touched many lives with her unparalleled generosity and kindness; although she lived a privileged life, she retained humility and a down-to-earth nature that has inspired people across the globe.

Lady Diana Frances Spencer was born July 1, 1961, in Norfolk, England. She spent her childhood at Park House, the family mansion neighboring the royal family’s estates (Suzanne M. Bourgoin). Her carefree life ended however when her parents went through a bitter divorce after her 12th birthday. Diana then began attending the exclusive West Heath School in Kent, where she “developed a passion for ballet and later Prince Charles” (USA Today Dec. 2009). By the time she turned twenty, her dreams became reality. The press’s spotlight began to shine on her as the courtship between Charles and Diana bloomed. In 1981, she tied the knot with Prince Charles and took the title Princess Diana of Wales. Soon after marriage, she gave birth to two handsome princes, Prince William and Harry, and did her best to keep them away from the press. Royals they may be, but Diana was determined to give them a normal childhood complete with a loving mother (Famous Women and Beauty). The Crown Prince and Princess separated in 1996, after several years of an ailing marriage. Diana lost her right to the crown, but kept the title Princess of Wales. A year later, on the night of August 31, 1997, Princess Diana died in a car accident, along with her boyfriend and their driver (Historic World Events).

(http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00444/news-graphics-2007-_444213a.jpg)

The Princess’s tireless efforts to support charities demonstrates her love and passion for humanity. According to People, as of 1989 Diana made more than 180 visits to the 44 charities she sponsored (Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997). Most people, even relatives don’t make half as many visits, and here the princess of Great Britain was building bridges over what were formerly steep banks. Diana worked fervently to show the world that she cared for everyone with no exceptions—no matter their race, religion, or condition. Out of kindness, she sacrificed her valued time, energy, and finances into “…charitable causes, including a crusade for the banning of land mines, as well as efforts on the part of AIDS and leprosy victims. In so doing, she took advantage of popular fascination with her life and celebrity…—and directed attention toward her charities” (Diana, Princess of Wales). She used her celebrity status to bring attention to charities and causes that were truly important, with compassion and sincerity.

Despite being wealthy all her life, Diana’s ego never swelled to the size of many of our present-day monarchs and billionaires. She never forgot that she was only human, and never tried to be anything else. A down-to-earth personality is a rare trait in celebrities. That, and her rebellious nature, set her apart from other notable dignitaries. She even “…dropped out of school at 16 and began to work for her living…” (Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997). Willing to work alongside everyone else, Diana symbolically proved to the world (or at that time, her parents) that she was not afraid to get down and dirty — to be like everybody else. An aspect of a real heroism is humility, and humility by definition is the quality of being humble. Princess Diana didn’t flaunt her name, status, or wealth, although all three of those components are considered important in the modern world.

(http://princessamerah.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/blob9-princesss-diana.jpg)

The People’s Princess earned her name as well as the hearts of citizens around the world. Diana inspired people to better themselves and help those who are less fortunate, in life and in death. While alive, every move outside of home was observed and recorded as was to be expected of her role in society. Yet, as she went above and beyond her duties, exhibiting kindness, generosity, and love, the people went wild. She refused to follow the example set by her husband’s family, the royals who remained aloof and proud above everything else. So she became something else. She became a well-admired public figure who didn’t shun the people, but represented them. She became the People’s Princess. The world loved Diana, yet that love and obsession ultimately became her death. The Princess perished in a car accident while escaping the paparazzi. “News of Diana's death sent shockwaves around the world and saw an unprecedented outpouring of grief, confusion, and rage. Flowers piled up outside Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, St. James Palace and Althorp [her various homes]. As well, money poured in from around the globe, necessitating the hastily created Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund.” (Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997). The world grieved, but opportunity arose. An opportunity for millions to honor her memory. In the event of her death, Diana inspired people from different nationalities, beliefs, and income, to donate over 150 million dollars to her favorite charities. On July 7th, 1997, an anonymous reporter gave his final words on the princess. ‘“After giving her time and property to charities and causes ranging from the treatment of AIDS to the abolition of landmines, her destiny is clear. She will never be the queen of England, but she will be the queen of our hearts’ (Newsday July 7th 1997)” (R.Pettinger). Lady Diana was a wonderful woman who inspired countless people by simply showing her compassion and generosity. Immortalized in history by her humanitarian works, she will forever be a heroine.