Diana Frances Spencer

by Maria Valerie from Selden

"I don't go by the rule book, I lead from the heart, not the head" - Princess Diana
<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Diana%2C_Princess_of_Wales.jpg>Princess Diana</a>
Princess Diana

Princess Diana

Brave, courageous, fearless; what do you think of when you hear these characteristics? Many might say a hero is a person such as a policeman, firefighter, or even a lifeguard. Still, a hero can be any person who you look up to: someone that inspires you to do better or to follow a dream. Therefore, my hero is Princess Diana.

On July 1, 1961 Diana Frances Spencer was born. Diana grew up living on a royal family's estate at Sandringham. She had two older sisters, Sarah and Jane, and a younger brother Charles. As a child she occasionally played with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, who were near her in age. At age six, Diana's mother and father divorced. The Spencers divorced in 1969, and Diana's father received custody of the children. Diana went to private boarding schools. She loved sports, especially swimming and ballet. Diana dreamed of being a ballerina. Her childhood was pretty much a normal childhood.

After leaving school Diana became a teacher at the Young England Kindergarten in Pimlico, London. Her romance with Prince of Wales began in 1980. He was Queen's Elizabeth's oldest son and was 12 years older than Diana. He previously had dated her sister Sarah. The press had taken so much interest in the relationship they gave Diana a nickname "Lady Di." Diana and Charles were married July 29, 1981 at St Paul's Cathedral. The wedding was viewed by 750 million people all over the world. Diana was the first Englishwoman to marry an heir to the throne in over 300 years. Diana was now 'Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales'.

Diana and Prince Charles were having marriage problems. Diana had discovered the he was still in love with his old girlfriend, Camilla Parker-Bowles. Diana once said, "There is three of us in this marriage, so it is a bit crowded." Due to this Diana developed bulimia and attempted suicide. Despite her problems, she was a devoted mother to her two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry. She worked tirelessly for charity, and was beloved by the public for her humanity. Princess Diana was the president of over 100 charities.F or instance, she was patron of Centerpoint(homeless charity), English National Ballet, Leprosy Mission and National Aids Trust, Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street and the Royal Marsden Hospital. In my opinion, the most inspiring work of the Princess Diana was in 1987 "when she became the first high-profile person to be photographed knowingly touching a person with the HIV virus."

The Prince and Princess were divorced on August 28, 1996. Diana now became 'Princess Diana’. Both Prince Charles and Diana had custody of the children. I believe Diana is such an inspiring person for people all over the world. She was unhappy with her marriage and had the guts to say “no more." Many women don’t have the courage to divorce their husbands. In Diana’s case her husband was a Prince. Diana in my opinion is one of the most giving, caring and strongest persons in the world. Princess Diana did so many things for people all over the world. She made a difference in so many lives. She was a Princess because of her husband but just a giving person at heart. She is my hero.

On Sunday, August 31, 1997 Princess Diana and her friend Dodi Al Fayed died in a car accident. It happened in Paris in front of a hotel named Buckingham Palace. Princess Diana gives me certain warmth in my heart. She lets me believe that there are people like her in this world. That there are good, lovable people that make the world go round. Princess Diana makes me look at the bright side of life. She believed that love is never-ending and can be shared with anyone and, no one can stop her. When I think of Princess Diana I think love, peace, kindness. I thank her for all the good she did and for inspiring me to do better in life.