Tim Dwight

by Cassidy from Omaha

Tim Dwight New England Patriots (NFL.com)

My hero, Tim Dwight, was born on July 13, 1975 in Iowa City, Iowa. He is currently a wide receiver for the New England Patriots in the NFL and even though he is very small (5'8" and 180 lbs) he is one of the most dominant players in football.

Tim Dwight for Iowa (The Tim Dwight Pictures Page)

Dwight started playing football in at least fifth or sixth grade. He was pretty good, but his big success didn’t come until around his junior year in high school. In his senior year, Dwight led the City High “Little Hawks” to their first championship ever. He continued to play football in Iowa City when he chose to go to the University of Iowa, even though he had plenty of offers from other schools. He also ran track and was very good at it. His barbed wire tattoo on his left arm explains how he was and how he played football in college and how he still is: tough, rugged, and durable. Now playing for New England as a wide receiver and punt returner, his determination, speed, and hard work makes him unstoppable.

As you know, Tim Dwight’s main job right now is football, but he’s not only a football player, he is a businessman too. Dwight currently owns a liquor store and a yoga studio, both in Iowa. In an article by Steve Buckley in the Boston Herald Tim said, “The toughest thing about owning a yoga studio in Iowa, is to get people in Iowa into yoga.”

Tim and Ben
Tim and Ben

Not only is Tim Dwight a good football player and a good businessman, he is also a great giver to the community. Dwight, in the past couple of years, has put on football camps for kids and teens to advance their physical and mental skills through football. He donates half of the camps' proceeds to the Children's Hospital of Iowa to help kids with cancer and also to The Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center. The other half goes to the Tim Dwight Scholarship Fund to assist students with getting their college degrees. He also helped a family from Muscatine, Iowa, that had a little boy with cancer. Tim met Ben Reinier, a nine year old boy with colon cancer, and his parents, Don and Debbie, at a Make-a-Wish tent at the Super bowl. He stopped by and talked to the family. Tim went back to Iowa with them and went to Ben’s treatments at the hospital, took him to Iowa basketball games, took him to the museum, and spent a lot of time with Ben and his family. He also took Ben surfing when his family visited San Diego a second time. Even though Ben died September 2003, Tim still remains a family friend and still gives money to cancer research, and to organizations to help families affected by cancer.

Tim Dwight shows great determination and talent on and off the field. Even though he is small, he has a big heart. Tim Dwight’s care and concern for others, helps me understand that the little things I do for other people will affect their lives greatly. His determination helps me know that nothing is impossible and to always work for what you want. Tim Dwight, also known as Superman and Number Six to Iowa fans, is and will always be my hero

Dwight Online - Facts about Tim Dwight
Dwights Football Camp - Information about Tim Dwight's football camp
NFL - Stats on Tim Dwight
Patriots - Tim Dwights football team's website
ESPN - Stats on Tim Dwight