Elizabeth Walls-Asto

by Weijie from Philadelphia

Everybody knows the superheroes from comic books and movies. But what about the heroes that are present every day? What about the everyday heroes in your community? From firefighters to police, heroes are everywhere. Me? I decided to interview someone I see almost every day, my teacher.

My teacher's name is Elizabeth Walls-Asto. Let's start with her earlier life to shed some light on the subject. Ms. Asto hadn't always wanted to be a teacher. She had thought of being a lawyer, but she was inspired by her parents' involvement in public services. Her mother was a teacher, then a principal. Her father was a public defender. Following her mother's example, she became a teacher. She had considered her mother a role model. She also considered a teacher of hers named Ms. Marcon a role model.

During her time in college, she had tried being a waitress. But after getting her degree, she began her career as a teacher. She had tried at multiple other schools before she landed in McCall. She had worked at Fitzsimons, Southwark, Columbia and GW Childs School. She had said that these would, "Never be as good as McCall." (YYEESS!!!). Some of these schools are now shut down. Though she liked teaching, she disliked some of the grades she taught. She has taught 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. She says she likes teaching the older grades because the students are, " More mature and organized."

Now is Ms. Asto's 13th year teaching. She has liked teaching. When Ms. Asto had started, she had, "Hoped that I wouldn't sit behind a desk all day." Luckily, she didn't. In fact, She got to interact with her students throughout her career. To her, this job meant, "Getting attached to my students." Her main goal is to help progress students in their learning. But for now, she just wants to be happy.

As you can see, there are many heroes in our world. Superpowers or not, they are important in our lives. Maybe your view of the world will change after you read this essay. Be glad of the people that make everyday life better.