Amelia Mary Earhart

by Brandon from Altoona

Amelia is ready to fly
Amelia is ready to fly

Amelia Earhart is my hero because of her effort and achievements through her life and what she has done to us and for us now.

One thing most of you know is that she was the “First Lady of Flight.” Also she set the first record of 14000 ft in the air for women around the world

Say cheese Amelia!
Say cheese Amelia!

Amelia was always fascinated with planes and got private lessons when she was only 13 years of age. She was in a stunt ground about to fly for the first time, and her only comments were this, “It’s time”. When Amelia was at 300 feet she put her knowledge to work and a- flying she went! If you could have a chance like this would you do it? Most of you probably wouldn't, and that is why I give great credit to Amelia for her courage and her talent. Only 3 out of 10 would take on such a risk, and as you can see, Amelia Earhart is the first.

Amelia did have her off days and one of them ended her career and her life permanently. It was a cloudy day when, exploring the ocean, Amelia and Fred Noonan needed to land for gas because they only had an hour’s worth of fuel. Since the plane was so loud Fred Noonan wrote things down on paper, and he gave it to Amelia. Amelia was reading Fred Noonan’s directions and assumed he had made a mistake and she had done the exact opposite of him, got lost and radioed for help. Amelia's radio equipment was losing signal and getting stronger and losing it again. The thing that is weird is even though she could talk to the people she could not hear their reply, or could she??? An hour later Amelia came in on a strong frequency and repeated this code. S.O.S S.O.S S.O.S which is Morse Code for help. Then she was yelling that her helper, Fred Noonan, was being badly beaten and tortured. In a terrified voice she was begging, “ Please don't hurt me, don't shoot.” Then they lost her frequency. We believe that it was the territory of a country getting ready for war.

Thank You Amelia Earhart
Thank You Amelia Earhart

This, to me, is what makes Amelia look true and brave. We also see the sacrifice that was given to women so they could someday see the beautiful sky she’d once seen, and that's what makes her a real hero, a hero, my hero!

Birth Name: Amelia Mary Earhart Born: July 24, 1897 Birthplace: Atchison, Kansas Died: July 2, 1937, en route from Lae, New Guinea to Howland Island Married: February 7, 1931, to George Putnam Quotes Quotes by Amelia Earhart "After midnight the moon set and I was alone with the stars. I have often said that the lure of flying is the lure of beauty, and I need no other flight to convince me that the reason flyers fly, whether they know it or not, is the esthetic appeal of flying." "Not much more than a month ago I was on the other shore of the Pacific, looking westward. This evening, I looked eastward over the Pacific. In those fast-moving days which have intervened, the whole width of the world has passed behind us -except this broad ocean. I shall be glad when we have the hazards of its navigation behind us." ... Amelia Earhart, several days before she left for Howland Island and disappeared "...decide...whether or not the goal is worth the risks involved. If it is, stop worrying...." "My ambition is to have this wonderful gift produce practical results for the future of commercial flying and for the women who may want to fly tomorrow's planes." "One of my favorite phobias is that girls, especially those whose tastes aren't routine, often don't get a fair break... It has come down through the generations, an inheritance of age-old customs which produced the corollary that women are bred to timidity." "Preparation, I have often said, is rightly two-thirds of any venture." "Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace." "Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others." "[Wome n] must pay for everything.... They do get more glory than men for comparable feats. But, also, women get more notoriety when they crash." "...now and then women should do for themselves what men have already done - occasionally what men have not done--thereby establishing themselves as persons, and perhaps encouraging other women toward greater independence of thought and action. Some such consideration was a contributing reason form my wanting to do what I so much wanted to do." "In my life I had come to realize that when things were going very well indeed it was just the time to anticipate trouble. And, conversely, I learned from pleasant experience that at the most despairing crisis, when all looked sour beyond words, some delightful "break" was apt to lurk just around the corner." "Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn't be done." "No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves." "Adventure is worthwhile in itself." "Never do things others can do and will do, if there are things others cannot do or will not do." "The more one does and sees and feels, the more one is able to do, and the more genuine may be one's appreciation of fundamental things like home, and love, and understanding companionship." "The most effective way to do it, is to do it.