Thomas Edison

by Sam from Kennebunk

Thomas Edison
Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison is my hero because he invented technology that led to things that we use on a daily basis, and a not so daily basis. One of the great things Tom invented was the electric vote counting machine. Another great thing that we use today is the light bulb. He was truly a hero to the world and he went through a lot to get there.

When he was young he only got 3 months of formal educaion, but then he taught himself by reading every book in the library. His mother home-schooled him but soon his parents found that he was learning faster than them. He was fascinated with physics and was full of questions and thought about modern technology. By the age of 15 he has learned how to use a telegraph machine. This was the beginning of his great career in technology. His first patented invention was the electric vote recording machine which was meant to be used by legislatures. But the device was too far ahead of its time and did not succeed. His big break came when he arrived in New York on the verge of starving to death and happened to be on the scene when a stock ticker in the financial district broke down. Edison was able to fix the machine and the manager responsible for the machine offered him a full time job with very good pay fixing all of the machines. Now that he had a good income, he was able to devote attention to his inventions once again.

Now you know how Thomas Edison got from being a poor boy who couldn't get a proper education, to a successful inventor. Knowing how this happened can teach people that you can do most anything you want to do if you set your mind to it and work very hard. That's why Thomas Edison is my hero.