Florence Griffith Joyner

by Morgan from Williamsville

( ())
( ())

Florence Griffith Joyner is a heroine. Florence Griffith Joyner is a heroine because she never gives up, or quits. She has proven to the world that just because she's a girl, it doesn't mean that she can't succeed in a tough sport like track and field, hockey, and football. When Florence loses a race, she gets disappointed, but she knows that she really didn't lose because she did her best and never gave up in the race. Florence believes in herself and always tries her best to win. Florence once said, "It's not only about winning the game, it is also about having fun with it." It means that not only should you try your best, you should try to have fun doing it too. That is why I think Florence is a heroine.

Florence Griffith Joyner had a hard childhood. She had a mom, dad, five sisters, and six brothers. Her dad left her at the young age of three years old. They had become very poor when her father left them. She remembers, at times, that it was hard for them, but also says that, to her, they seemed like a rich family. Everyone in her family called her Dee Dee because her real name is Delorez. She was seven years old when she started getting into running sports like track and field, or sprinting. In her school, at the age of seven, she was already faster than all of the fastest boys. When Florence was older she went to Jordan High School in Watts, Georgia. In 1978, she graduated from high school and won awards for sprinting and the long jump at her high school graduation. That is Florence Griffith Joyner's childhood.

( ())
( ())

Florence Griffith Joyner was into sports. Florence did track and field, and sprinting. She was a track and field star because she won so many races. In the Olympic games in Korea, Florence dashed across the finish line in a 200-meter race. There, she had broken the world record for the fastest women alive. At that moment, Florence became an official star because she had broken the World Record in 1987. Now, she became a track and field star and everyone thought she was one too. That is what Florence Griffith Joyner did for a living because she loved doing it so much and was lucky enough to have the opportunity to be able to do it.

Florence did many different things for others. Florence Griffith Joyner encouraged the community and others to do and to be their best at everything and to never give up. Florence also encouraged everyone to be themselves. She encourages them by always being herself. She is herself by wearing crazy track suits to any competition she goes to, even the Olympics. Once, she wore a purple zebra striped track suit with crystals and sparkles on it to a competition. That is how Florence Griffith Joyner encourages others to be themselves.

Florence Griffith Joyner had many challenges. One of her challenges was that when her dad left, they became very poor. When her family became very poor, they couldn't afford many things like foods, water, and clothes. Another challenge had occurred on their way to the Olympics in Korea at the airport. While she was heading towards the baggage claim section, a baggage cart toppled over on her, crushing her leg. It had hurt her Achilles tendon so she could not compete in the Olympic Games. She could not compete because she couldn't run with a hurt leg. She could not compete for a few months until her leg had healed. Those were some of Florence's challenges and obstacles Florence had to face.

Florence Griffith Joyner has won many awards. Florence has won many awards because of her skills at running, sprinting, and for track and field. One award was that Florence had broken the world record of being the fastest women alive. She also won awards for winning the 100-meter race and the 200-meter race. In the Olympics, Florence won one silver medal and three gold medals. As you can see, Florence Griffith Joyner has won many awards for her talent.

Florence Griffith Joyner has three good quality traits. One of them is believing in herself. Florence has this as a quality trait because Florence believed that she could be a faster runner in a race than she is now. She also believes that she could beat a faster runner than her in a race. When Florence believes, she can do anything. While she believed, Florence dashed across the finish line and won the race. Another quality trait Florence Griffith Joyner has is to do her best. Florence Griffith Joyner does her best in every race she runs and, also, in training. She always gives it her best try at games even if she loses. Florence Griffith Joyner does her best at everything and gives it her best try. One more trait she has is to be fearless. Florence is fearless because she isn't afraid to be herself. In every race she dresses up in crazy track suits. Those were the three good quality traits Florence Griffith Joyner has.

One important lesson someone might learn from Florence would be to do your best. An example is that she never gave up in a race. Florence Griffith Joyner never gives up and always does her best. That is how someone might learn a lesson from Florence Griffith Joyner. Florence has many interesting facts about herself.

One fun fact about Florence was her pet. He was a boa constrictor named Brandy. Once, while she was in high school, Florence wrapped Brandy around her neck while she was in the mall. Of course, the mall kicked her out because they had said that she was scaring the people. She still loved Brandy though other people might not like him as much as she did. As you can see, that was the one fact about Florence and her pet, Brandy, the boa constrictor. "You never fail until you stop trying." Florence Griffith Joyner is a hero.

Wikipedia - For more about the life and accomplishments of "Flo-Jo".