View Comments

Giovanna Rolim from Recife - Pernambuco, Brazil - 4/15/2021 at 6:51 AM.

In my opinion, a hero is anyone who cares enough about their friends and family that can, everyday, work hard just to put food and water on their table. We can find heroes everywhere, not just in comics or movies. Look around, probably you will see a doctor, or a policeman, or a firefighter. Literally just any worker.

Giulia from Recife , Brazil - 4/15/2021 at 6:51 AM.

I think heroes are bravery, honest, determined , courageous and hopeful.

Jamerson from , Brazil - 4/15/2021 at 6:50 AM.

A hero can be anyone who has saved a live. So hero don’t wear a specific way of clothing. So, a hero can be with a simple clothes, or a firefighter suit, or a medical, or a T-shirt. So to identify a hero, they can be with any type of shirt.

Clara from , Brazil - 4/15/2021 at 6:50 AM.

I think that in today’s days, (COVID pandemic) our most important heroes and EVERYDAY heroes are the doctors and people that help in this community. Normally, I usually think someone who saves me, or helps me, is considered a hero. For example: My mom is a hero for me, because she helps me everyday and she is just wonderful. To consider a hero, I think we should consider people that help us, even in little things, because that can make a huge difference.

Maria Eduarda from - PE, Brasil - 4/15/2021 at 6:48 AM.

A hero needs to be honest, generous, helpful and kind

Elizabeth from , USA - 5/14/2020 at 6:49 PM.
What a nice intro to the hero forum!

Laura from , US - 3/21/2019 at 3:41 PM.
I so agree with the statement that you can also define a hero by the content of their character and are role models. Heroes are people who walk their talk.

Callie from , U.S.A - 2/28/2018 at 1:43 PM.
I think that the character is more important than the deed. Anyone in the world could do the certain deed/quest but this one person had the courage and kindness to do it. He/She chose to put other peoples needs before their own. And that is what makes a hero. Having the courage and kindness to do a quest that will affect people for the greater good even if there is a huge chance you will die/not succeed.

Billy Bob Thorton from , America - 2/28/2018 at 1:42 PM.
I believe you don't need superpowers to be a hero. My definition of a hero is someone that stands up to something they don't think is right. A person who stands up to a bully, in my book, is a hero. There needs to be more heroes in this world. Even if you don't have x-ray vision or the ability to fly, try being a REAL hero.

Taylor from , U.S.A - 2/28/2018 at 1:42 PM.
I think a hero is some one that puts their life or something they cherish. Many people think that a hero is someone that has a power like super speed, super streath, or teleportation. Some times a hero can be yourself. Yeah it sounds strange like how can I be hero. I don't have any powers. I am just a person on Earth. You know that you can be a hero by helping around your street.

Jordan from , america - 2/28/2018 at 1:41 PM.
I think that hero's is something or someone that you cherish in ways that makes you feel good or in other good ways. It could be someone ordinary that does something big or amazing to you or the society. Hero's aren't always in capes and have super powers, they can be someone that you look up to and want to be someday. Hero's are special to you, but might not be anything to someone else.

Lalo from , U.S. - 2/28/2018 at 1:40 PM.
What is a hero to me?A hero to me is someone who do things to protect, the ones who need help and that never give up no matter what.

Taylor from , U.S.A - 2/28/2018 at 1:40 PM.
I think a hero is some one that puts their life or something they cherish. Many people think that a hero is someone that has a power like super speed, super streath, or teleportation. Some times a herom can be yourself. Yeah it sounds strange like how can I be hero. I don't have any powers. I am ju

Jocelyn from , U.S - 2/28/2018 at 1:38 PM.
I think a hero is a person who never gives up. A person who never lets the world get under there skin. Some one who is strong.

HANNAH from , UK - 2/28/2018 at 1:36 PM.
MY HERO IS MY MUM

joe from , America - 2/28/2018 at 1:35 PM.
A hero is some that does something to help many, or gives up something of theres to help people.

JENNA from , UNITED STATES - 2/28/2018 at 1:34 PM.
A hero is someone who gives themselves to something greater than themselves. it can be in everyday life or in the greatest novels.

Clarissa from , United States - 2/28/2018 at 12:06 AM.
The two main qualities a hero has are selflessness and bravery. The thought of their safety, comfort, or ease is second to others. Every day people in any kind of occupation can be a hero. The unsung heroes are the most common. Selflessness can be letting the woman with fewer items get in front of you in the grocery line. You could be a hero in the eyes of that woman. Bravery could be checking under the bed for monsters. These silly and seemingly insignificant instances do not diminish the thought of a hero, but moreover counters the Hollywood version of a hero that relies on superpowers or incredible wealth, talent, or intelligence. A hero is someone who selflessly and bravely does the right thing. That is what a hero looks like.

Taalor Fondren from memphis - TN - Tennessee, United States - 2/15/2018 at 10:18 AM.
Heroic Virtue: LOVE Love is something that grows out relationships and friendships, having to sacrifice for yourself and others, and encourage and push others to be successful. To love someone you have to care about them and presenting a heroic vision to help them cultivate into a better person. When people are having a good day and is everything is going well, they tend to lift up others around them because they are doing well. On the other hand, people that are not doing so well at the moment tends to give off bad vibes and they are the ones who need to be loved then. ALL people need to be shown love, so if you are a hero you have to realize that you are capable of making that happen.

Jai S from , United States - 2/15/2018 at 10:02 AM.

Heroism is the result of many abilities being brought together in order to accomplish a task meant to help humanity. The recognition of a hero is important; understanding what creates a hero, and holding such a person to a high standard sets a precedent for following heroes. The method of determining heroes is up for debate, however. For example, a heroic person, who is helping society grow and develop, may also have his or her own flaws; by recognizing and rectifying these flaws is the person truly heroic!

Maya Younes from , United States - 2/15/2018 at 10:02 AM.
Heroism is defined as a great bravery, and I think that is the best definition for it, because there are a lot of ways to define bravery as well. While most of the time when we think of heroes we think of superheroes from Marvel or DC. However, bravery can be just trying to be yourself in a world that is against you, or standing up for someone else. Heroes can be just average people who go to work and take care of their families. One thing that makes a hero a hero is standing up for what they believe in and trying their best to be their best.

Claire from , U.S. - 2/15/2018 at 10:00 AM.
Vision is an important aspect of being a hero; if a hero is someone who creates positive change or makes the world a better place, then it is necessary that they have a clear idea of their goal. Vision, brought about by both good and bad experiences, propels heroes to enact change or work towards an end goal. Even small actions have importance and meaning when placed in the context of someone's vision for society. I think vision is universally necessary to be a hero - otherwise, there is no motivation to do good or make a change - but the specifics of these visions and how they are carried out is necessarily individual.

Chad from , US - 2/15/2018 at 9:59 AM.
From the essay about love, it states that, "All the world’s religions point to the power of love and our obligation to love our neighbors". This is important because there are many religions in the world, that holds millions of people, and they all posses one norm, love. Along with love, many can agree that there are different types of love, that are meant for different types of relationships, but we all still need it.

Noah Clinkscales from , United States - 2/15/2018 at 9:59 AM.
A religions are centered around the power of love Jesus speaks of loving our enemy Love conquers all, keeps a hero in a space of serenity See people are beings not to be controlled or manipulated Love cultivates unity, while respecting diversity Eros- Romantic love Platonic- Friendship love Agape- Selfless love, MLk, Mandela Agape must be sustained in one through hurt, anger, etc Elbert Hubbard “ The love we give away is the only love we keep”

Logan from , USA - 2/15/2018 at 9:59 AM.
To me a hero isn't just someone who has superpowers. A hero is a person who does anything big or small for another human being. If you give a homeless person money or a meal you could be their hero because you helped them. I agree with Joseph Campbell's view on how the average Joe or Jane can be a hero. Yes the heroes can also be the firefighters, EMT's, doctors, and nurses. But it also the people like Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks, or Martin Luther King Jr. All of them are heroes because they fought for human rights and equality. I believe a hero can also be someone who did something they can be admired for. They are willing to fight for what they believe is right and risk what they have. They should speak up for what is right. That is what I believe is a hero.

Cameron Faulkner from , United States - 2/15/2018 at 9:50 AM.
A hero Is someone different for every single person. Some people think a hero Is someone who saves a cat from a burning tree while some hero's go unheard of. A hero to me is someone who does something that makes a impact bigger than it just applying to you. Yes I would say you are a hero if you save me from my house when it's on fire. But hero's are more than that. A police officer is a hero because they prevent themselves from having to save you from a shooting because they arrest the bad guy before it happens so hero's are not someone you may see in action.

Lydia from , USA - 2/14/2018 at 3:04 PM.
I believe that anyone can be a hero no matter how big or how small the cause is. For example, by simply spending fifteen minutes at a local animal shelter and playing with the animals, to me, that is being a hero as it is not something you had to do but instead it is something you want to do without anything in return. I think in our society, while it is good to praise those who do big deeds, I believe we glorify these acts and end up teaching our children that if you do these huge acts, you will get something in return. We should start to praise those who do small deeds and try to help benefit our community or even our inner circle more, and without expecting something in return.

SANTIAGO from , UNTED STATES - 2/13/2018 at 1:27 PM.
UMMMM IT IS BECAUSE IT DEFINES WHO YOU ARE

Nic from , United States - 2/13/2018 at 1:22 PM.
I think that the deed is more important because it affects other people.

Marley Eppehimer from Shelbyville - KY, USA - 2/13/2018 at 1:10 PM.
I think heroes can be identified on their traits. The virtues I'm inspired by are compassion, modesty, generosity, open-mindedness and peacefulness. I feel that those who achieve these virtues are heroes and others including myself can find inspiration in those people an adopt some of their traits.

jamie myres from , merica - 2/13/2018 at 1:10 PM.
to be a hero you need to be genuine and actually a great person, not just being good for the attention

Monte from , United States - 2/13/2018 at 1:10 PM.
Yes a person has to have a good character to be a able to be recognized as heroic. Even if a person does good things but they have terrible personality then it does no real effect.

jonathan Hernandez from , US - 2/13/2018 at 1:09 PM.
Yes because doing one good thing does not make make you a good person , if your character shows that you don't care then people would know that you don't care.

jocelyn from , usa - 2/13/2018 at 1:06 PM.
yes because then we can tell if their actions were intentional or not

Kirstin from , United States - 2/13/2018 at 1:06 PM.
Yes, the character of a hero is as important as the heroic deed.

zach gutermuth from shelbyville - ky, United states - 2/13/2018 at 1:05 PM.
I think the character of a hero is important too cause the the action would have never been performed with out that amount of character

jocelyn from shelbyville - kentucky, usa - 2/13/2018 at 1:04 PM.
a person who changed the world in a way

olivia federle from shelbyville - kentucky, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!! - 2/13/2018 at 1:04 PM.
Do you think that the character of a hero is as important as the heroic deed itself? Yes the character is just as important as the deed, because some people could just be doing something for the publicity and not out of the goodness of their heart.

Noah Mann from , USA - 2/13/2018 at 1:03 PM.
Yes, I believe that the character of a hero can show the motivation of the heroic act. Although, the heroic act shouldn't be diminished, the motivation for doing said act should be considered when regarding the person as a hero.

Hannah from , USA - 2/13/2018 at 1:01 PM.
I think that the character of a hero is just as important as the deed itself, simply because there are many people that I think would do a "heroic act" just for the attention. By looking at a hero and their character, you are able to see that they did it for a sole purpose that is close to their heart. The character of a hero shows what matters to them and what is important to them. With this, you can easily see what the driving forces behind someone and the act that they perform.

Kelli Stivers from - Kentucky, united states - 2/13/2018 at 1:01 PM.
I think the character of a hero and the intentions of said hero is more important than the heroic act. I am in no mean belittling any heroic act like the police force and fireman go through. They save lives daily, but some people save lives by doing average things. Using their money to provide for you, being a friend to you, especially in hard times. Heroes are caring and I think that is what matters. They want to do good even in small ways. If they can just make someone's day better by smiling, they'd do it.

Ella Staples from , United States of America - 2/13/2018 at 12:59 PM.
Do you think that the character of a hero is as important as the heroic deed itself? Yes that person can be doing heroic deeds for the wrong reason. You have to have a personal characteristic of motivation to live everyday to do something that would show the deeds. I think being a hero has several different variations because one persons hero and be just another person to someone. Its how that persons character shines through.

Ash from , United States - 2/13/2018 at 12:55 PM.
I guess they are kind of equally important because it's important to have good character and be doing things that are good, but you can't just be doing day to day things and expect to be a hero. You have to do things out of the ordinary/helpful things and more than what is expected of you.

jaylin beach from , united states - 2/13/2018 at 9:19 AM.
no because a hero can be anyone. even if their job doesn't really help or save anyone, they are working for their families.

Joshua from , America - 2/13/2018 at 9:13 AM.
I think that the character of anyone is more important than a deed because you can be really rude and no one liking you and you can still do good deeds but no one will like who you are compared to being a good person and doing good things.

Lucy Craig from Frankfort - Kentucky, USA - 2/13/2018 at 9:06 AM.
I guess that it matters, but at the same time a bad person can do something good. So in realty it's not about who we are but the things we do for others.

Allison from , United States - 2/13/2018 at 9:05 AM.
Not necessarily, the characteristics of a hero reflect on on the deeds that a hero does.

Paris Klemz from Shelbyville - Kentucky, United States - 2/13/2018 at 9:05 AM.
I think the character of a hero does matter as much as the deed. If they do something great, but they’re a terrible person, then nobody would like them.

Brandon Alarcon from , united states - 2/13/2018 at 9:04 AM.
I think a character of a hero is important because he/she can't just be a rude person they won't get much fans or admires

David Ethan Gerber from Shelbyville - Kentucky, United States - 2/13/2018 at 9:04 AM.
The character of the hero is just as important as the deed itself because if hero is going around bragging about their qualities or dying that they are better than everyone than they aren't a hero they are just someone doing the right thing to gain fame from it or to show off.