View Comments

Guest from - 10/28/2020 at 9:55 AM.
what is a hero .a hero is not just with powers . a hero shoud have these 10 qualitites .kindness , selflessnes , Conviction. Courage. Determination. Helpful. Honesty. Inspirational. Moral integrity. bravery my dad is my her . he dont have powers but help me . he dont have power but give me every thing .first i think he dont love me he stop me to eat junk food and said to eat vegetable .he stop me from every thing . one day when he went out for week .i was sick then i understand that what he does was all for me When he came home i hug him and said sorry ... my dad is the best

Guest from - 10/25/2020 at 9:26 AM.

I watched the video about Milo and his journey to save the aquatic life by spreading awareness of the pollution that plastic straws cause. He helped restaurants and other food places to ask the customers if they would want a straw so that at least half of the people who order food won't pollute, and its also good for the business because they will save money on straws. The other video I saw was about this young teenager, Jaysa Mellers, who was fighting for her and everybody's health in her neighborhood by stopping the power plants in their backyards and she successfully stopped them and could live in peaceful and healthy environment. These two kids are the true Heroes we need these day - they Inspire other kids and people to do good and not pollute this planet which we call our home.

Guest from - 10/23/2020 at 3:27 PM.

My thought is that we have many heroes around us but the real heroes are doctors -  why? Because doctor save our lives and during Coronavirus they saved the lives of many people and they put their lives in danger. So in my thinking heroes are doctors and my thinking is also that a real hero should be mature, helpful and good by heart.  ❤️

Guest from - 10/21/2020 at 4:43 AM.

We human beings are entrusted with a very special place in creation. A place that calls us to embrace and live by certain values including kindness, generosity, forgiveness, joy, peace and so on. Heroes help us define, develop and live by those values. Without such examples we can be led to embrace false values and the balance of creation is lost; the teeter totter totters and all can become chaos and disharmony. who you choose as a hero often determines the character of a person and a people.

Guest from - 10/20/2020 at 1:45 PM.

My hero is Mother Teresa because she was a leader.

Guest from - 10/20/2020 at 10:28 AM.

A hero is a real person or a main fictional character who, in the face of danger, combats adversity through feats of ingenuity, courage or strength. Like other formerly solely gender-specific terms (like actor), hero is often used to refer to any gender, though heroine only refers to female. The original hero type of classical epics did such things for the sake of glory and honor. On the other hand, are post-classical and modern heroes, who perform great deeds or selfless acts for the common good instead of the classical goal of wealth, pride, and fame.The hero has these characteristics: Bravery Conviction Courage Determination Helpful Honesty Inspirational Moral integrity Protective Self-sacrifice Selflessness Strength.

Guest from - 10/19/2020 at 4:28 PM.

I think a real hero is not necessarily a person who seeks fame and riches. Now, when the world is fighting the killer-virus the REAL heroes are doctors, teachers, mailmen....All kind of jobs that had never been considered THAT important:(( Probably the time has come to see the real ONES.

Guest from - 10/08/2020 at 8:32 PM.

A hero is someone that doesn't do it for the popularity but instead for the people.

Laura Nietzer from , United States - 3/21/2019 at 3:37 PM.
I believe there are many types of heroes and they share certain traits such as perseverance, courage, positive attitudes, and compassion for others. And many of these heroes are those people in our own communities.

jeanne from laguna Beach - ca, usa - 10/11/2014 at 10:05 AM.
choose a hero who follows through someone who does more then talk someone who makes the impossible possible because they stick to it and get the job done. Nathan Smith is one of those heroes. He has help build my hero, fix my hero and rebuild it when the server crashed. he has been improving this project since he was a teenager. now he has two children and continues to share his expertise with our team.

Roselyn Castro from Denver - Colorado, United States - 3/28/2014 at 3:41 PM.
Now because of the forum I know what a hero needs to have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, self-control, generosity and forgiveness. And it not might even be on the web. It can be someone I know that has all of that it can be a friend or family member. Heroes help in the same way in movies like Batman, Spider man and even Captain America. I’m trying to choose a good hero because bad heroes lead to bad things I don’t want to choose someone that’s good saving the day and next thing you know he is trying to kill everyone yup I need to be carful they can turn out to have things including deeds like sexism, racism, hate, violence, greed, jealousy, resentment and corruption. Yup my hero better not have anything like that. You always need to know who you are choosing. That what I know from the forum and that’s all from me

Princess Vargas from Aurora - Colorado, USA - 3/26/2014 at 3:33 PM.
We read about how to pick our hero if they are nice or if they are helpful and it does not mater the skin color they are and that is a character and people that are self control. I think a hero should be helpful, nice and I think what we read is good so we can understand that white people and black people are still the same even if the are poor it still does not matter because we are all the same and we should be give food to all the poor people and even to hero's. Hero's are good persons even if some hero's are poor they are still hero's!

Laura Flores alvarez from auroa - colorado, USA - 3/26/2014 at 2:00 PM.
i think i should choose Ann frank will be good.She is kind she has joy and she has peace.

Ashley from Hong Kong - Hong Kong island, China - 4/22/2013 at 7:04 AM.
I will choose the kind of hero that inspires me and gives a good example to others . Well, they don't have to be good looking or strong , they just have to have a beautiful heart and determined thoughts .

Hannah Flynn from , United States - 2/03/2013 at 6:55 PM.
I really enjoyed Rev. Charles F. Harper's essay. It inspired me and I have found myself thinking about who heroes are in my life and how we are affected by them. I haven't paid too much attention to celebrities or sports stars at all, but this made me really stop and consider who we follow and almost worship as a society.

Chris Gardner - 9/20/2012 at 11:05 AM.
What i think a hero is. To me a hero is someone that forgives people that have done wrong to them or someone else. A Hero someone that looks over someones mistakes. To me a hero is someone that caring and loving. Someone that does not care what people think about them and they know that they are doing it for the right reson. A hero is someone that stands up for what they belive in.

Kolton Murphy from Spanish Fork - Utah, U.S.A - 9/20/2012 at 11:01 AM.
What I think a hero is, is someone who you dont know personaly because they just an average person on the streets. Someone who can be the person to help an old fellow cross the street. Someone who can help a little girl get her cat from the tree, and to stop by at a lemonade stand ran by two little girls just to give them hope for more customers. So to me a hero is someone who can do those little things for the right reason.

Rima Gizhlaryan from village of Platovo - Rostov region, Russia - 1/15/2012 at 1:51 PM.
I think that it is important to choose heroes because they help to determine the character of a person. I agree that in the absence of positive examples people will start admiring others as they did in Nazi Germany. This process can ruin our moral values. The ancient Greeks said, "Tell me who you admire and I'll tell you who you are." It’s a very nice saying because nowadays children prefer popular cartoon superheroes such as Superman, Batman, Spiderman and so on. I have nothing against them: flying from building to building in bright costumes they let good to overcome evil. They can be the characters to admire why not. Besides these cartoons are adventurous and exciting. But there is a lot of violence and fighting around them. In my opinion teenagers need images that are more positive. It’s a common knowledge that a hero is a person who does a special act of bravery and doesn’t think of himself first. And I for one consider every man to be a hero or a woman who does his or her duties in life properly. So we can find them in everyday life.

Tori Anne K. from Dayton - Ohio, USA - 9/06/2011 at 7:57 PM.
What makes someone a hero?: i think a hero is someone who dose good things but not beacuse they want anything for it.

shubhendu bharmer from dharamshala - himachal, india - 6/08/2011 at 8:43 AM.
HEROES ARE NOT CONFINED UPTO A PARTICULAR PLACE PERIOD OR RELIGION BUT THE PEOPLE WHO EMBRACE THE VALUES THAT DWELL OTHERS TO FOLLOW UP AND WITH THE VISION OF MAKING EARTH A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE AND SURVIVE.THESE PEOPLE ALWAYS REMAIN THE EMBODIMENT OF PEACE LOVE AND TRUTH.HEROS PLAY KEY ROLE IN REVOLUTIONARY UPLIFTMENT OF SOCIETY AND WORLD AROUND THEM .THEY NEVER DIE ITS THEIR TRANSFORMATION INTO DIVINE WORDS THAT REMAINS TILL ETERNITY. HEROES ARE NOT GREAT PEOPLE BUT ITS THE GREAT IDEOLOGY THAT THEY CARRY AND MAKE PEOPLE TO LIVE THEIR PHILOSOPHY. LIKE METTY STEPANEK SAID: "REMEMBER TO PLAY AFTER EVERY STORM " ELSE THE THIS VIRTUE OF LIFE WILL BECOME HARD TASK TO CARRY OUT

Sankofa from L.A - C.A - 5/09/2011 at 5:45 PM.
A hero is a person who does a special act of bravery and doesn’t think of themselves first. We should choose our heroes by seeing how they are making a difference in the world. We can find an hero every where

Saga from L.A - CA - 5/09/2011 at 5:43 PM.
A hero is a person that changed the world. We can choose our heroes by finding someone that really made a difference. You can find heroes anywhere, in your community, in books, or even at school.

Rae from L.A - california - 5/09/2011 at 5:42 PM.
1 a hero is some won how makes a difference in the world 2 you see what they did for the world 3 you can find a hero anywhere and YOU CAN BE ONE TO

Luc Wyatt from L.A - California - 5/09/2011 at 5:39 PM.
A hero is a honorable person and will help the needs of others by their ability’s kindness cure and giving up stuff some times. Any were in the Rain forest, New york, even the county side. I would chose a hero by their kindness cooperation and helping others before.

Julianna from L.A - California - 5/09/2011 at 5:37 PM.
A hero is someone who makes a difference in the world. You can find a hero if they are kind thankful and if they have a positive attitude. The whole world is full of heroes. Parents are heroes , doctors are heroes, teachers are heroes, kids are heroes, students are heroes too and many more.

JAE from L.A - California - 5/09/2011 at 5:35 PM.
A hero is a person who is doing something to help others or their communities or even the world. A hero is supposed to do good things, be nice, make good decisions and help others. Heroes can be anywhere there is need of help for example many people are becoming heroes because they are helping Japan

Jack K. from L.A - California - 5/09/2011 at 5:33 PM.
You can find a hero anywhere. Everyone can be a hero in some way. A hero is someone who helps others. We should choose our heroes by how they treat others and how they act.

Jack E from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:57 PM.
A hero is someone who makes a difference in your life. Someone you are inspired by. A hero can be anywhere.

JACk b from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:56 PM.
1 A true hero is a person who helps people in difficult situations and makes a difference in the world or in someone’s life. A true hero does not care about attention. A true hero cares only about helping people. A hero is someone true.3 you can find a hero almost anywhere hospitals, doctors, veterinarians, schools, homes, fire stations, white house, police stations, or maybe outside your front door.

Izzy from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:54 PM.
A hero is a person who makes differences. We chose are heroes by looking at what other people do in there every day lives. We can find are heroes well I will list 4 places 1 a school 2 a fire station 3 the white house and 4 the doctor’s office

Hailey from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:54 PM.
1. A hero is someone that helps people and cares about the community. 2. We should choose our heroes based on what they do and what they do for the community 3. We can find our heroes in the community.

Galen from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:53 PM.
A hero is somebody who made a difference. We should choose our heroes out of people who made a difference. You can find a hero any were a hero is unique. A hero is a hero.

elizabeth from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:52 PM.
A hero is a person who makes the world better place.in comics defends the world from evil, but mostly helping people to safety. You can find a hero anywhere everyone is a hero every day but just in a different ways. You chose your heroes like this let’s say you’re about to get crushed by a building then you need a strong hero or let’s say you’re about to fall 60 feet then you need a flying hero One more thing my mom’s a hero because when my dad had a head injury my mom stuck around even thou they were having difficulties.

Elena from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:51 PM.
Someone who makes a difference in the world. Someone who help someone else. Someone who gives there life to help others. Like Harriet Tubman. They help others in a good way. Someone who helps and they don’t care if they get paid. Someone who makes sacrifices. Fiji Cuba and more.

DJ from Santa Monica - ca - 5/05/2011 at 5:50 PM.
What is a hero? Heroes help people who are in danger and protect people. How should we choose our heroes? We should choose heroes by the way they act. Where can we find heroes? All around us, because heroes come in all different walks of life.

claire from brentwood - ca - 5/05/2011 at 5:49 PM.
A hero is someone who helps others. We should choose our heroes by doing different good deeds. A hero could be anyone and anywhere.

Guest - 5/05/2011 at 5:47 PM.

Claire from Brentwood - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:47 PM.

Chloe from Brentwood - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:46 PM.
A hero is someone who makes the world better pals to be. Hero often puts them in danger to change the world. I chose my hero by how they act. You can find heroes any were books TV by asking questions about heroes

charlie from LA - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:45 PM.
HEROES 1. A hero is someone who helps others. 2. You should choose a hero that cares for others and not just themselves 3. you can find a hero ANYWHERE!!!

Bernard from Brentwood - ca - 5/05/2011 at 5:44 PM.
A hero is somebody who helps people in our lives. For example a nurse or a doctor .to find a hero go to any random place in your community because a hero is everywhere. At hospitals, fire departments police stations, schools, even at the market. To choose our hero we should find someone doing a good deed like helping someone lift up something heavy.

Benjamin from Palisades - Ca - 5/05/2011 at 5:43 PM.
A hero is someone who did something nice to another person. A hero is someone who put themself in danger for another person. In our community we can find hero’s helping at the hospital and at the police station.

Barrington from Los Angeles - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:33 PM.
A hero is somebody who saves people by helping them you can find a hero at the police station and the fire station to we should pick good hero s that help people

Alejandro from Los Angeles - CA - 5/05/2011 at 5:31 PM.
A hero is someone who does something good we should choose our heroes by finding people who help others...good people take care of people...we can find heroes everywhere there is good in the world.

Ashwinee Rvan from Subang Jaya - Selangor, Malaysia - 4/25/2011 at 9:12 AM.
Superman, Batman, Spiderman and the list goes on. These are the much shouted about fantasy characters whom we recognize as heroes. However, the fact remains that there is more to being a hero than just flying around in bright colored costumes and swinging from building to building.

A HERO is a person who has done something that creates such an impact on someone or his surroundings. Of course, I mean a good impact. The impact he/she created should be something that changes a life or even many lives.

Some wonderful examples are Mahatma Gandhi, Tunku Abdul Rahman, Dr. Mahathir, Mother Theressa and the list goes on... We, as ordinary humans with no such superhuman powers have only a fistful of things we can do to help others.

No, I'm not asking you to get of your house and start fighting for the independence of a country but much smaller yet meaningful deeds. For example, writing your thoughts on this MY HERO topic and raising awareness on heroism around the world. This will ensure that there is no fake believe on heroism going around.

Spencer Petrovich from Folsom - California, United States - 4/04/2011 at 12:08 AM.
There are many attributes that make you look up to someone; bravery, honesty, perseverance, integrity, and strength, but a true hero is one that has all of those attributes. Heroes could be a coach that helped you reach your goal or a parent that has always been there for you. For me, my hero is my great grandma Erna Tischler.

She was born right in the middle of World War I. While she was growing up she lived in a small town off the coast of the Baltic Sea. She married Ernst Schoenhuff, and she had 4 children throughout 1939-1944. Ernst was unable to help in raising them because he was quickly deployed to aid in World War 2. Two of her children, four year old Siegfried and one year old Brigitte Schoenhuff passed early in their life and my grandma had to bury her children in suitcases while she was fleeing from the Russians. She believed that God took two of her children so that the other two could survive; she said that she doesn't think she couldn't have made it with all four, because food was so scarce. She had to hide her children in old bomb craters covered with some brush to keep them safe when she went out to search for food. She once had to search for medicine for Ursula and Horst by carrying them over her shoulder through the forest until she found a military camp and asked if they would fill her tin cup full of medicine for her children. After the passing of her two children she moved back to Germany and formed a group of single women with children. This group always traveled together as a large group, because it was safer than traveling alone.

She lived safely for a few months, but she didn't know where any of her family was because her father was deployed at a train station. While working there he would often put the water faucet into the stopped train to give the Jews water, because he felt so bad for them. This act of kindness almost got him killed.

One day her neighbor knocked on her door and told her that the Russians are coming, you need to leave. So she quickly gathered her supplies and left with her two remaining children Ursula and Horst. So they left on foot again. They were constantly out running air raids but on the occasions that they were caught in one she would sit down and but both children on either of her legs and would say "If a bomb hits us at least we are all going to die together." They never had shoes while they were running but one day they found a dying German soldier and traded him some tobacco they found for his boots. They ran for months and eventually ended up at Furthimwald, a refugee camp next to the Czechoslovakian border. The war ended a few months later.

Even after the war she faced problems; she wanted to find her husband who she hadn't seen for more than five years. She finally found him and it turned out he was a Prisoner of War in France, but sadly was remarried, the war destroyed their marriage. She was remarried to a refugee she got to know very well.

Erna Tischler, my great grandma is my hero because she never gave up, she never lost faith, she always persevered, and she was always strong. She lived through two devastating wars and raised two children by herself; one of them is my grandmother Ursula. My great grandma is now 94 years old and is living healthily in the small village of Unterbechingen, Germany. She is a very loving person and has been a great inspiration for me.

Yohannes Amdeberhan from Addis Abeba - 14, Ethioia - 3/17/2011 at 3:23 AM.
YES A HERO CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.

Priya from CHANDIGARH - Outside of U.S./Canada, INDIA - 3/10/2011 at 9:30 AM.
We are celebrating the International Youth Year. Youth should understand their responsibility. They should work for the betterment of the world and protect the environment and its natural resources to protect life on this earth.

Robert Kay from Morehead City - NC, USA - 2/14/2011 at 12:13 PM.
I am in agreement with what had been written. The flame of celebrities fires are so shortly lived. True heros are those who base their lives on what comes from within. The truth of what love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, humility and self-control. Yes they aften shy away from the bright lights thrust upon them. Yet it is precisely their actions which we need to notice, so that we can do the same.

Copy Link