Anne Frank

by Katherine from Cincinnati

“Nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world” - Anne Frank
This is Anne Frank (http://www.annefrank.com/1_life.htm)

How would you feel if you had to hide because of what you believed in? Anne Frank and her family had to, because they didn’t want to die. From July 9, 1942 to August 4, 1944, a young girl and her family had to hide because they were Jewish. They hid for two years in their hidden annex. Then on the 3rd year they were caught, and they had to go to different concentration camps.

This is were the annex was (http://www.annefrank.com/af_life/story12.html)

Anne Frank is my hero. She is my hero because she was a 13 year old girl who went through the Holocaust, and one week before WWII got to the point where the Jewish people were set free, she died. On June 12, it was Anne’s birthday, and she got a diary. She wrote so much, she used all the pages up, so she adds pages to it. Anne had two friends one was her sister and the other on was heather she went to school with Anne. Anne’s mother told Anne that the next day would be the last day of school for Anne. It was because it was too dangerous for Anne to go to school. So on Anne’s last day of school her friend heather wasn’t there, word got around that heater and her family was taken by the Nazis. The Franks were living in their house until they got a phone call. The Franks were friends with “non-Jews” And they helped them hide. The Franks hid in an annex. Otto Frank had a book shelf, and if you opened it there was a door, and stares. That’s were the Franks lived for 2 years, they never left it. The people that helped the Franks would bring them up food and would wash there cloths for them. Because the Franks had to hide 24-7 they had to sleep in the day time and be awake in night time. They had to do this because the Nazis would see the Franks in the day time moving around. So they did everything at night time. After two years of hiding there was a phone called made, word got out that there were Jews hiding in an annex. The Nazi found the franks told them that they had to pack but what ever the Nazis thought was valuable they said that they couldn’t take it. So Anne could not keep her diary. The Nazis took Anne’s diary and through it and the entire pages came out of it.

When the Nazis took the Franks, the family that helped them picked up Anne’s diary and put them in a drawer because they knew that they would be coming home soon. Anne and her family were taken to the camps and it had to be women and children and man in a different camp so then the family was split up. The girls had to have all there hair shaved off. This was a problem for Margaret because she had long beautiful curly hair and she had to get it cut off. After months of being in the camps and no word from Otto, one day when everyone was moving to a different camp they found each other. After a month in the second camp Anne’s mother found a little hole into the camp next to her and she found heather in it. Anne’s mother ran to get Anne and they found each other! Heather told Anne that the camp here was better once a week they went somewhere and got food and clean clothes so once week heather would toss over her bread to Anne so she could eat. A couple weeks’ later Anne’s mother died. From coldness because it was winter, and from the starvation. One month later heather told Anne that she lessened to a radio and they were letting the Jews go! Anne was so excited that she ran over to Margaret who was very sick and told her that the Americans were coming to free the Jews in a month! A week later heather told Anne that they were moving her to a different camp. About a week later Margaret had died. Anne counted down the day. In till one day a week before they would be free Anne had died. When all the Jews were free, the helpers went to the train station to pick up all the franks. Otto got off the train and went to the list of survivors he didn’t find any of his family on it. They took Otto home and Otto read Anne’s diary and he made a book into it. Called Anne Franks diary and it is Anne’s real diary!

Anne Frank was a lot of different types of hero one of them that she mostly is a hero within. I think that Anne Frank fits this because people who are heroes look up to her. Even though I am not Jewish, I look up to her. People look up to her because she had to hide because she was Jewish, her and her family could have pretended to be Christian but they didn’t. They thought that God would protect them and nothing bad would happen to them.

Anne Frank is a hero to me and I am sure many others. Her life was full of tough times, and it wasn’t even her fault. This is also why I think she’s a hero to those near and far, even if you are Jewish or Christian or Islam it shouldn’t matter what you are, or what you believe in.