My Great-Grandmother

by Nina from Trnovo, Slovenia

For me a hero is a person who helps another person even when it`s hard time for him, a hero never gives up and believes in others. All this was true for my great-grandmother called Tama, who is my hero. My great-grandmother always worked hard, she was optimistic, positive, practical, organised and she had high goals.

She had three children. Her husband was working on railway station. Then the Second World War started and he had to go to the war as a soldier. She was home alone with three small children and she had to protect them. To make some money for her children, she decided to have a garden and sale vegetables on the market. She didn`t make a lot of money but it was enough for raising her children. Gardening become her passion. Then in the sixties my great-grandfather passed away. She was broken, but she never gave up and she was working even harder and taking care for her family even more. That was more than 40 years ago

She always believed in us. Even when she was 90 years old, she was still taking care of her garden and selling vegetables on the market. She had small old age pension, but for every birthday she gave me some money to buy something I like, because she couldn`t go to buy me a gift.

She always told me that now is her time, but I didn`t believe her because I loved her so much and I couldn't imagine life without her.

On 1st of February this year she had her 97th birthday. On the 8th of March she closed her eyes forever. I was broken, although I know that she wouldn`t like that, but I couldn`t help it.

On her funeral priest presented her like a very brave person who never gave up, cared for others and loved gardening.

I know that she's watching every step I take and that she is now my guarding angel. I`ll never forget her, she will be in my heart forever.

Nina 6.b, Primary school Trnovo, Slovenia.