The following story was written by a high school student.

Grace Kelly

by KC from Billings

136491Grace KellyMetro-Goldwyn-Mayer [Public domain]Grace Patricia Kelly was a beautiful, talented woman who was the princess of Monaco and had a great acting career. From an early age, people always made fun of and gossiped about her. Although her parents didn’t want her to become an actress, she wasn’t about to let that stop her from fulfilling her dreams, which is why she is my hero. She became a fashion model and appeared in her first of many films, Fourteen Hours, at the age of 22. When she married Prince Rainer III of Monaco, she retired from her acting career, as her husband wished, even though acting was her passion.

136493Grace KellyParamount publicity photographer. [Public domain]Grace Kelly was born on Nov. 12, 1929 to a wealthy Catholic family in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where she was educated in private schools. She later attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City in 1947. This is where her acting career began as she was working as a model for a photographer in order to pay her tuition. Grace’s first major motion picture was High Noon where she played the young bride of a sheriff. Kelly’s acting career began to grow as she signed a studio contract with MGM and filmed in three Hitchcock films along with many others. Grace won many awards throughout these films including two Oscars, which she was very grateful for.

Kelly’s dream career as an actress ended after only five years. Prince Rainer the III proposed to her when she was in the middle of filming The Swan in 1955. Grace filmed her last film, High Society, in early 1956 and then sailed to France where her fiancé was waiting. They got married on April 4th, 1956 and it was “The Wedding of the Century.” In order to get out of her seven-year contract with MGM, she agreed to let them film her wedding and then release it as a movie back in America. Now the Princess of Monaco, Grace had three children and loved them all very much and raised them well. On September 14, 1982, Grace died as she and her daughter were driving toward Monaco and their car fell off the road and rolled down a large cliff.

Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco has inspired me because when no one else believed in her, she didn’t let that get in the way of what she wanted to do with her life. Although Grace was a very busy mother of three children and a princess, she was still a very kind woman and wanted to help people. She became president for the Red Cross and helped underdeveloped countries with medicine and education. Towards the end of her life Grace also liked to make dry flower arrangements and sell them and give the money to charity.

Remembered for her beauty, acting, and kindness, Grace Kelly was a wonderful woman. The American Film Institute ranked Grace #13 amongst the greatest female stars of all time and she has well deserved it. Grace never cared about what people thought about her and she always loved to help others in need. Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco is a great, wonderful woman and we will never forget her.

Princess Grace Foundation - Established in 1982 by His Serene Highness Prince Rainier III of Monaco, the Foundation was created to honor the legacy of His wife, Her Serene Highness Princess Grace (Grace Kelly), an independent American woman, Oscar-winning Hollywood icon, and the globally beloved Princess of Monaco. After Her tragic death, Her family wanted to create an organization that reflected Her love for Her native country and Her profound dedication to the arts. During Her reign, Princess Grace brought arts and culture to Monaco while also quietly supporting countless American performing and film artists. This is the legacy that inspires the Foundation’s mission.