George Washington

by Kayla from Jasper

George Washington (drawing by Kayla)
George Washington (drawing by Kayla)

Have you ever had a hero?  No? Well I have a hero. His name is George Washington. George Washington was caring, brave, and courageous.

One reason why George Washington is my hero is because he was caring.  George Washington cared about our country so much that he was willing to fight for it.   He led our country in the Revolutionary War and fought for our independence from Great Britain.  Another reason why I think George Washington was caring is that if it were not for him, we wouldn't have our 13 colonies.  I could tell you more but that's all for now.

So now it is time for..  Why my hero was brave.  George Washington was brave because he went into war and fought for his life and ours.  Another reason George Washington was brave was when his father died, George was only 11 years old at the time.  He became the ward of his half brother, Lawrence, who gave him a good upbringing.  By the time he was 16, George traveled with a surveying party plotting land and the next year had a job as a surveyor.  But, still, he grew up without his father.

Who was the father of our country?  Moreover, who was the first President of the United States? If you do not know; his name is George Washington. George Washington is my hero because he was courageous. It is his courage that causes him to be honored by so many.  He was courageous because he traveled upstream to the battle spot in the middle of a cold winter and crossed the Delaware with his men to win the battle, and he had to put his very life on the line to save our colonies.  He has the courage I do not have.

As you know, George Washington is my hero because he was caring, brave, and courageous. Therefore, now that I have told you my hero, does that give you an idea of who your hero might be?  I hope you will share your story about your hero too.