Ginger

by Michelle from Spanish Fork

Ginger, a 6 year old quarter horse is one of the greatest horses. My grandpa raised and trained her. She was one of the best horses we've ever had. A couple years ago, with my grandpa being part of the cattle association he was up the canyon alone. He was riding Ginger, making sure the cows were where they were supposed to be.

A mountain lion jumped out of nowhere and tried attacking. The mountain lion scratched down Ginger's withers. She bucked my grandpa off. Instead of running away like a normal horse would do, Ginger stayed with my grandpa and chased off the mountain lion. My grandpa got back on Ginger and rode her back to the camp ground so he could take her to the vet.

Ginger healed fine. The reason she is my hero is because of her bravery, loyalty, and love. Without her my grandpa could have got hurt worse than he already did. Even when she got hurt, she stood by him and let him ride her back to the campground. Any other horse would have just run off. With her staying it shows the love she had for my grandpa.