Aids
Please consider donating today
If you share our goals of shining light on the heroes in our midst and empowering people around the world to create positive change, please consider donating today. The MY HERO Project is a haven of hope — a gathering of inspiration and a celebration of the best of our humanity. Our staff and millions of people around the world depend on the help of people like you so MY HERO can continue to thrive for years to come. Thank You for your donation.

Hilda Cuervo

by Kelsi and Allison from Reeds Spring

Hilda Cuervo (Hilda Cuervo's picture)
Hilda Cuervo (Hilda Cuervo's picture)

A hero is someone who saves lives. Our hero helps save lives by researching to find a cure for HIV. A hero can be any age. Our hero is a grandmother. A hero can also be a real person, not all heroes are cartoon characters.

Hilda Cuervo (Hilda Cuervo's picture)
Hilda Cuervo (Hilda Cuervo's picture)

Our hero is Hilda Cuervo. She works at the University of Houston, Texas finding cures for HIV with a group of researchers. She also helps write grants for the research.

HIV infected blood cell (www.hivandhepatitis.com/recent/2008/121208_b.html)

HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus- it's also called AIDS. Your chance of survival with AIDS, prior to modern research, was not very good. Now, thanks to the efforts of researchers, there is a medication that helps with the symptoms of AIDS. If, however, you take it for a long time it stops working.

“When I retire I plan on joining an organization for helping children.” Hilda once said. And in our opinion, that is what a true hero would do, spending their free time helping others in need.

Hilda Cuervo saves lives with her research and dedication to her job. She is a true hero, someone we would each love to be like when we grow up. That is why we chose her to be our hero.

Our hero is Hilda Cuervo. She is our hero because she saves lives with her research and dedication to her job. She researches cures for AIDS and also helps write and manage grants for the research. She is also my (Kelsi's) "Grammy".